Sore, swollen leg; ibuprofen dose?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of Petunia. It's fuzzy but you can see how she is sitting on her bum instead of her haunches.

e7bc754e9b0ccb086379d57e4169336a.jpg

dfba085cbaa6825d996ff37906a49222.jpg

He is still working to breathe, but it seems better than initially. He has no muscle mass in his haunches. (Looks like my 17 year old cat!) He is probably to the point where he can't sit normally any more. Let me see if I can find a pic of Petunia for you...
I think he will probably need to be on the meds for the rest of his life.

YeahI expect him to be on meds the rest of his life. As long as he's happy I'll provide that for him. He seems happy and still comes out of his house quickly to come out of the cage when I go near.

Is the muscle loss just part of getting old? Is it still safe for him to use his CN ramps? I have the shelfs set to the lowest setting and the ramps covered in fabric.

I have found that even my most crippled rats still want to go up and down the ramps, although sometimes they need help going up! (Note the covered ramp behind Petunia.) Reduce the incline of the ramps to as low as possible, and make sure there are no heights to fall off of - I have two shelves in one section of my Critter Nation so that it's not a long drop if they happen to lose their balance and fall. I also make sure there are at least two different levels with food & water in case they can't get back up a level.
That loss of muscle mass seems to happen in elderly critters. It is most noticeable on their hindquarters, but they lose tone and mass all over.

Back