Rats in Houston need a home

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvelociraptor

I have been having a terrible dilemma. I moved across the country a month ago, and had been meaning to bring my rats via United PetSafe. That's when one of my babies got a lower respiratory infection. I took him to the vet and put him on antibiotics, and although he was getting better, I was told flying would be unsafe. I decided to leave the rats with a friend who would watch them for a month, until I visited Houston again. Well, it's been a month and my baby is still sick. The friend cannot keep my two rats any longer. I cannot fly them to Virginia without risking the sick one's life. I cannot drive, and no one can drive me there. The shelter will not take the sick rat, and I don't want him to be euthanized -- he still enjoys treats and exploring!

I am afraid my rat is chronically ill, and cannot keep making plane trips, so I'm trying to find them both a permanent home in Houston or around the area, with someone who understands how to properly care for rats. They are both friendly boys, and not aggressive. I am willing to pay for any vet bills. I just want my sick rattie to stop moving around and be settled in a good home!

Thanks for the reference! It may be possible -- I want to keep my options open. I sent them a message: hopefully they'll consider taking a sick rat.

So I went to the vet again yesterday evening, and she basically said that flying was not 100% ideal, but that he should make it. I decided to take that chance rather than pass the problem on to someone else or risk him being euthanized. They both left happily eating and grooming each other this morning, and I have a vet appointment when they get to their destination.

Back