Contemplating a Re-home in Ottawa...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratboy's Mom

Hi fellow rat lovers. I am rarely here on these forums, but when I decided to contemplate re-homing my girl I knew this was the place to come, so I'm hoping someone is able to help. We have had rats for the past 6 years. Originally, my son requested rats as a pet and although I was hesitant, I fell in love with them pretty quickly! Well, after a number of rats and years, my son seemed to be less interested, and although he definitely loved them he didn't give them they attention they required, so the last 2 girls we got were mine :love11: I got Fern and Willow in August of 2012 and even then I was thinking they may be my last pair since I myself felt I couldn't always give them the time they deserved. Fast forward to last week. Fern seemed to be a little slow and I thought time might be catching up to her since she was now 27-28 months old. However, Thursday night I noticed she was bleeding, what appeared to be vaginally, so I made an appointment for her for Friday. I was hoping it would be an infection that a round of antibiotics could clear up, but sadly that wasn't the case. She had a tumour near her bladder. After discussing it with the vet, I decided rather than letting her continue to bleed, suffer and deteriorate, I would euthanize her.:grave: I have never had to do that before and although it was very difficult, the staff at Carling Animal Hospital were wonderful and I am hoping I did the best thing for her. So,.... all this to say, that she now has a lonely sister who is all alone. I don't plan to get anymore rats right now (maybe after my non-fur babies have left the nest) and although I would miss her terribly, I'm wondering if she would be happier somewhere where there were other ratties to play, snuggle and groom with. Willow is 27-28 months old and very sweet. She's still quite active and quick on her feet. She's a little shy in that she won't waltz right out and crawl up/on you, but she will certainly come to you and want to see you, talk to you and will gladly be held and snuggled. Is there anyone in Ottawa that would be interested in giving her a new home? I would gladly supply her single CN as well. I've attached a few photos so you can see how cute she is :)
2zeidqs.jpg

20h51n8.jpg

21oq4ba.jpg

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
If she's that elderly its probably best to keep her in the home she knows and with the people she loves. She may not even want a companion. I have seen too many older rats confused and upset about being rehomed. IF she ends up depressed without another rat then definitely rethink this.

I definitely agree, but I also think now that shes alone you should try to spend tons of time with her if you do keep her.

I agree with Lilspaz. I don't think I could give up an elderly pet. You are all she has ever known.
If she seems horribly depressed, then perhaps you could foster another elderly rat for a rescue instead of re homing her.

Thanks for the feedback. I was worried about a re-home being stressful for Willow, but I thought the solitude might be worse. However, never having been in this situation before, I am thankful for your advice. I have been trying to spend more time with her since Fern left us last week, and I will keep her at home and continue to shower her with love :tumkiss: I'll keep an eye on her to make sure she's not getting depressed, and hopefully she'll live out her days happy at home :heart:

Back