Doxy and Baytril dosage help!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman178355

So mine and my girlfriends 2 babies, Lily and Lola, started sneezing with a little porph a while back. They both weighed 190g and we put them on 10% baytril at 10mg/kg, so was giving them 0.02ml twice a day, and their sneezing went away. Then we stopped baytril but... the sneezing has come back. Now with more porph and their coats are rough so we thought mycoplasma and bought some doxy and need help dosing it. We have 37 100mg capsules and the rattos weigh 220g currently and i dont know how to use the ratclub.com medication with powder soooo...

(TL;DR - Our 220g rats might have myco and we need help dosing 100mg doxy capsules and 10% baytril at 10mg/kg.)

How much baytril and doxy do I need to give them, for how long, can i give them both at the same time and any advice on what to give it with/in?

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
I have never had much luck with Baytril on it's own, and have always used it with doxy for success. I would normally give approx 5 mg/kg doxy, although I think that the range of doses is quite broad with most antibiotics due to a rats fast metabolism. I have an elderly girl with a chronic URI who is 650 g. My doxy tablets are 7.5mg and I have been giving her half a tablet twice a day, with 0.15ml of 5% Baytril, for quite a while now. I guess if your tablets are 100 mg then you may be easiest to dissolve them in water to dose that way, rather than try to divide up the powdered form. I used that method recently with clavamox and it seemed to keep fine dissolved in water in the fridge for a few days.

I would start by treating for a couple of weeks and then taking them off the meds. If the symptoms return, then I would repeat for another two weeks or so, and so on. I have had rats in the past with chronic URI's who have been on baytril/doxy for life with no problems of resistance developing.

I normally mix the baytril/doxy with Nutella, which my rats love! I have also used baby food and vanilla custard, which have been successful, but Nutella is definitely the favourite. I personally wouldn't give medicine by syringe unless absolutely necessary, as it does really stress them out.

Best of luck with them :)

For baytril we suggest a more effective dose of 15 mg/kg and for doxy 10 mg/kg.
For the 10% Enrofloxyn, you will want to use a ratio of 1 ml if Enro to 4 ml of syrup, giving you a dose of 0.17 ml twice a day

For the doxy you'll want to pour the powder into 1 ml of hot water to dissolve then add 4 ml of syrup giving you 20 mg/ml doxy. Their dose will be 0.11 ml twice a day. Keep them on this combo for at least 3 weeks

Back