Right dosage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie_0599

Hi!

I took two of my girls into the vet today to get them checked out as they were being sneezy. She gave me a prescription for baytril and doxy, like I expected. I didn't know if the dosages were right or if I should adjust them.

The baytril is 22.7 mg/ml and she prescribed 0.1 ml twice a day for a month (with a refill for another month if necessary)

The doxy is 5 mg/ml and she prescribed 0.45 ml once a day for a month (once again with a refill if needed)

Bessie is 203 grams and Penny is 222 grams.

Please help me out! Thanks!

Are you sure you have the doxy right? According to my math, your girls should be on 0.2 of doxy. The Baytril is good for mid range dosing.

That's what she wrote on my prescription paper. I was asking if it needed to be changed or not. If 0.45 is too much than I'll give them 0.2 instead.

Are you sure you have the doxy right? According to my math, your girls should be on 0.2 of doxy. The Baytril is good for mid range dosing.

Oh but mine is for twice a day doxy. So maybe your vet put the full dose into the once a day. My calculations were .22 for twice a day. So at once a day, it's almost your .45

Alright so I've gone through two different pharmacies already and neither have the doxy at 5 mg/ml. Just in case my next two don't go through, does anyone know any good online pharmacies that I can get overnight shipping for the doxy?

Walgreens ended up having it so I didn't need to look. The other three places I went couldn't even find it as something available to order. Thank you though!

Oh good! My mom once had to get some meds from our local pharmacy for her rat and they were so confused that we were doing this for a rat. Silly people.

I get my meds from my vet or a local pharmacy by prescription. Giving meds twice a day as suggested by Jorats is better. Good that you have refills as I have found that my rats need to be on antibiotics for at least 6 weeks in order to clear up infections or myco flareups

Glad that you were able to get the meds.
Hope they are soon feeling much better

Back