Young males? Old Girl? Neutered adolescent ??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina

Hi guys! I'd love to gather some experienced opinions here.
Over the weekend one of my male adult rats passed away. His surviving brother is quite depressed and lonely. I've been showering him with attention and treats, but it's to no avail. Clearly the only solution is getting him another rat friend. So my question for all of you... two young males? A senior adult male? Senior female? Generally speaking, which sex and age will be the most harmonious??
Bandit is a healthy 2 year old, and his cage is definitely huge enough accommodate to two babies if that's the best option. I would appreciate any advice thank you! Ill do whatever is best for my little buddy.

Last edited:
2 babies is great! That way they can tucker each other out. You might be able to find a nice single adult girl for him too though. Just my opinion. ;)

If you can get a spayed girl, that would be great. But two young males would be equally as good. Make sure to take your time with intros.

Thanks guys! I have called very shelter and rescue within a 100mile radius and can't find any senior(spayed) girls who need a home. I did find one unalter older girl on Craigslist, but several vets talked me out of having the surgery performed on her. Most rat vets in chicago dont even do the procedure. I didn't realize how risky spaying a female can be. So, I'm getting two babies from a breeder. I hope these little guys will bring my depressed boy some happiness. Also, I will take as much time as needed for a safe introduction . :)

Yeah- if I could have found a vet I felt 100% confident in, I would have loved have gotten that lil girl. Neutering is much more simplistic, but I don't want my old guy going under the knife.

Back