This looks good !!! New food from Oxbow

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I find really interesting is that many of the ingridents are things I already supplement their diet with :)

and I love that it is non GMO because GMOs cause inflammation which causes disease (plus all the glyphosates used on GMOs cause cancer) .... so it should be much healthier then other blocks for ratties

I think pet owners are being listened to and it's more like a kibble than a "lab" block.

Yes, and that is great! There must have been a lot of us inquiring as to if their blocks were non GMO and if they sold blocks that didn't contain animals

At least it isn't a mix as we all know that mixes are not good for rats.
What is the difference between a kibble and a block?
The adult blocks presently sold by Oxbow are pretty tiny

OMG! Thank you for sharing this! I'm so excited to get Oxbow without fish meal. I am not a fan of the smell, nor do I like supporting eating animals. This formula doesn't look truly vegan because it contains vitamin D3 which comes from animals (vitamin D2 is the vegan form, also doesn't absorb as well) but no fish meal is a huge step forward for me.

I've tried the vegetarian Harlan Teklad but I find my rats do best on Oxbow. This new formula looks very exciting :D

Yes, and that is great! There must have been a lot of us inquiring as to if their blocks were non GMO and if they sold blocks that didn't contain animals

At least it isn't a mix as we all know that mixes are not good for rats.
What is the difference between a kibble and a block?
The adult blocks presently sold by Oxbow are pretty tiny

I wasn't really trying to define kibble versus lab block. I just meant that they were kind of nowtreating our rats as pets rather than lab animals. Which is amazing!

Thanks for the info re D2 and D3, I find it very upsetting

From their site, they are only going to be offering this in small bags, not also in 20 Ib bags like they do with their Oxbow Essential rat block .......
so this will not be affordable for me :(
I am going to write them about their use of D2 and also the bag sizes - because they claim to be responsive to their customers, however, I expect I will be continuing to feed Harlan 2014 as it is affordable and doesn't contain fish etc

Hopefully it's better than their Regal Rat offering. Oxbow is the only food we've purchased that our rats have rejected to the point of losing weight while on it because they wouldn't eat it. Harlan-Teklad all the way.

Just wanted to say I found some at petco! Looks like the food is now available from many retailers according to their website.

The food is much more earthy, has the a more fibrous texture, like a guinea pig pellet? Smells really good. Tasted it a little, felt gritty and fibrous on my teeth (as expected). It's much quieter when my rats nibble this food, almost silent compared to the normal crunchy chatter. Feeding them a mix of normal oxbow and this version, they seem to like both the same! I think it was around $15 for a 2.5lb bag, so definitely not going to feed this exclusively but it's an easy way to add some extra variety.

Back