A good vet for a neuter in the montreal area.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

I'd like to give my rats and me a great christmas present and get Bizou fixed. Does anyone have a vet they recommende in the montreal area for a neuter? and what's the aproximate price?

Thank you :)

Dr. Brieger www.animosante.ca

He's great with rats and has spayed and neutered at least 20 rats for me plus several tumour and abscess removals. I think a neuter is about $150-160 + pain meds but it's best to confirm with him.

He's a bit far from you though.

CVL has an exotics clinic too, they wouldn't be my first choice though.

I like Dr. Woodlock at Hopital Veterinaire Vimont. It's a long way to go, but he show & tells you everything. I have no complaints (other than the premium price for emergency consults. But the regular consult price is lower than on-island, which compensates for the long trip.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know Victoria and Smallvic are avoiding the Hospital for Bird and Exotics, but Dr Saulnier is an excellent surgeon and I certainly would trust my own life with her. The clinic is more expensive than Dr Brieger though, and of course, Dr Brieger is getting to become the Montreal's legend as Dr Munn is for Toronto. :giggle:

Avoiding is a strong word. There's a person there I'm avoiding. And I avoid paying $400 for surgery. But I have no money for surgery anyway these days :-( and I have a new rabbit who really needs a neuter and I'll have to wait for spring or a really good job, whichever comes first.

I got my rabbit neutered a few years back at the vet a Taschereau Blvd. It cost me 50$ The SPCA Montreal exotics recommended it :) Not sure if it's the best but playboy is doing great!! :)

*Edit: And text cut off .... hmpf*

I just wanted to stop by and check why some of you are avoiding CVL?
I took Tosh there on Saturday as an emergency, after I saw my other vet in St-Therese in the morning. Sadly it was too late for my baby boy and he was euthanized to avoid further suffering. Even though it was my first trip there, compared to my current vet (which will be my ex vet) I had at least the feeling of competence.
Has anyone had any dealing with Dr. Maccolini? He was very kind and empathic and he took every precaution that my little baby didn't feel a thing when he passed. I was quite grateful for it.

The reason I ask is that I believe I had a quite bad experience with my vet in St-Therese.
I took Tosh there Saturday morning because he had more porphyrin show and because he hadn't eaten well in 2 days. Mind you - we were just at the vet on Tuesday because of a lot of porphyrin and him being less active. So I got an additional medication prescribed.
From Wednesday on, it got worse and he wouldn't eat or drink. So I finally got my appointment at Saturday morning. The vet told me that he could tell that the breathing wasn't that great but that the reason why he wouldn't want to eat was probably the new medication, which could cause belly aches. He didn't even use a stethoscope but just showed me how to forcefeed and told me to drop the medication.
About 2-2.5 hours later, Tosh was totally lethargic and apathic, starting oozing brownish liquid from the mouth and started having seizures. So I rushed him to the clinic and there Dr. Maccolini informed me that his lungs were full of fluid and mucus. He said that they could try to save his life, if I left him there for two days but he also admitted that the chances were not great. And even if he would make it through, chances that it would come back or that he would have permanent damage were pretty high. So I decided to end his suffering and as mentioned, Dr. Maccolini was very gentle and kind.

But yeah, as you can see, I am now 'slightly' paranoid when it comes to vets because I don't want something similar happening again. Sorry - that got kinda out of hand, but by now I am just so furious.

Last edited:
Went to CVL once and I think I saw Dr Moccolini... but it was over a year ago and I am not sure. I too thought he was very caring, but I did not return because I have a long standing relation with my clinic and they're like a second family... plus I trust my vet to no ends (almost... I still know to be critical!).

My setback regarding CVL is mostly around Dr Hebert. Don't get me wrong, she is an excellent vet, but she has shown me more than once that rats are not animals she most cares for... Just to show you how she affected me - this is completely subconscious, but my current vet is Dr. Hebert-Saulnier, and I just cannot call her Dr Hebert... she is Dr Saulnier to me, eventhough I may be the only one calling her that!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
I'll try to stick with Dr. Maccolini - since I have no trust at all in my last vet anymore, so I need a new one I can rely on. Thanks for the tip with Dr. Hebert though, I will keep that in mind. We are going there tonight to make sure my big monster is fine and we can adopt new companions for him soon.

Last edited:
Back