Great Emergency Vet - Westford, MA

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumblesquid

Hey shackers,

Just posting a review of a vet experience I had last saturday night. I have been to this clinic before with mixed thoughts, but since then it seems they have a new rat vet who knows her stuff.

I took Shaggy in for a chronic URI that had flared up into a nasty episode of off/on gasping. They took him very promptly and put him in an oxygen tank. They didn't let me see him for awhile, which was nerve-wracking, but I could tell there was a euthanasia going on in back (a family dog) so I understand why. They even listened to me when I told them to put a piece of fleece bedding in the tank with him, to comfort him (he's a nervous man rat).

Then came the wait. I waited probably 20 minutes (not bad for an emergency) to talk to the nurse, then soon saw the vet. She was very informed on the right medications to use! I told her that baytril + doxy was not working after months of using it, so she prescribed zithromax. She also prescribed a bronchodialator to help him breathe (thank goodness, I couldn't bare to watch him breathe so heavily without some sort of help). It was another 20 minutes or so until the meds were mixed up, and we were on our way! Price was about $220. Pricey compared to the normal vet, but keep in mind this was an emergency.

Overall, this seems like the place I will be going when I need prompt rat vet care. Sharing the info in case others in the area need it!

EDIT: forgot the link! http://westfordveterinary.com/

Back