Cat litter wood pellets - ashana

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
"After some investigation today I found out what she was housed in.
Apart from Jarrah wood bark/shavings (Contains phenols) she was also housed in a box containing a compressed wood (which also contains phenols) that was coated in a Shellac which is a type of varnish for wood."

Well, the plot thickens. We went to visit a particular pet store today and I happened to spy a pet litter they had bagged in unlabeled bags and also in the bottom of their mouse display case. I thought it looked familiar and smelt it. The smell was almost exactly like the original stuff in Rella's box she was surrendered in.

I have since done some further investigation and found the supplier (I am awaiting some further information to confirm the actual product) but I am about 95% sure this is the same stuff.

I investigated the company that manufactures the product and found the MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet). There is a slight contradiction in terms as follows.

"(MANUFACTURERS NAME REMOVED FOR LEGAL REASONS) has developed a process for converting wood waste from plantation timber into a wood pellet for use as professional quality pet litter and bedding. Raw wood shavings and sawdust undergoes extreme heat and pressure during the pelletizing process, which extracts most of the resins, oils, tars, acids and water from the wood fibre. The remaining organic material gives the wood pellets natural odour control properties. The product reaches between 150 and 200 deg C under 320 tonnes per square centimetre of pressure as it passes through he pellet press. When the pellets exit the milling process the product is completely sterile and has become an extreme absorbent. Unlike normal wood shaving and saw dust 1kg of [Product brand name removed] Litter can absorb up to 4 litres of liquid. There are NO ADDITIVES of any kind in this product, it is 100% Biodegradable, Sterile Wood Fiber.

Safe for Your Pet

(Brand Name) litter has no clumping agents and if eaten, will not cause digestive disorders. "

However, in the MSDS it states.

"Pet Litter contains no material classified as hazardous by Worksafe Australia. Injury in the form of mechanical abrasion to the skin, eyes or respiratory system is possible."

"Inhaled: Exposure to dust represents very little danger to healthy individuals. Dust particles may compromise the respiratory system in individuals who have respiratory conditions. The likely danger is mechanical abrasion or blockages to mucous membranes.
Skin contact: May cause mild irritation to sensitive or damaged skin through mechanical abrasion.
Eye contact: May cause mild irritation & redness through mechanical abrasion"

"Swallowed: Rinse mouth thoroughly with water. Do not induce vomiting.
Inhaled: Remove to fresh air or ventilated area if required.
Skin contact: Remove contaminated clothes and rinse thoroughly with water.
Eye contact: Flush with copious quantities of water for at least 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if required.
Advice to Doctor: Treat symptomatically. For further information contact the Poisons Information Centre."

"Reactivity: None known. This product is not suitable for use on products that are considered strong oxidisers, alkalis or acids." I think urine is ACIDIC but correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway I could go on forever.

Please feel free to use as you see fit ;-)

Thanks
Aimee

Thanks Jo..

Just as an added note i am in Western Australia so products from your country may be different. Please check with the company that produces the products that no pine or cedar has been used as well as anything else that could effect your babies.

Just because the pet shop says it safe doesn't mean it is true ;)

Back