Rat can't walk, just laying on his side -Rest well my Jasper

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhtephanie

I have noooo idea what is wrong with Jasper...
he's about 1 year old, and has always been pretty porphyrin-ish around his nose.
He had what I assume is an ear infection when he was a baby and was on meds for it. He was fine but since then he's always been a tilty head rat.
Yesterday I noticed some porphyrin around his eye but didn't really think much of it.
Today he can barely walk at all...he's pretty much on his side and tries to pull himself with his front arms but just falls and ends up spinning and freaking out. It's heartbreaking to watch and I have no idea what to do....
Ive been giving him water with a syringe and holding food for him to eat but he is not doing too well.

Should I put him in the hamster cage for tonight so everything is right there and he won't have the chance of falling in the CN?? or would he be better off staying in the CN with the other boys??

Is there anything I can give him??
Does this sound like something meds could help or would he have to be pts? :sad3:

Sounds like he could of had a stroke, or possibly PT. but im not sure, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer. For now I would keep feeding and watering and just watch to make sure he doesn't fall. perhaps the hamster cage with a gentle buddy for the night so he isnt alone but also cant fall or hurt himself.

Sounds like his inner ear infection is back. Try to stay calm. I would perhaps put him in the hamster cage with a buddy for now so he doesn't fall. Provide some clothes or blankets he can burrow in to feel less dizzy.

Can you get him to the vet first thing tomorrow? I would suggest a dose of Ibuprofen, but if you can get him to a vet it may be best to hold off since an injection of Dexamethasone would be best and it can't be given with NSAID's. Keep doing what you're doing and keep us updated.

I agree about the ear infection, I just went through this myself. Keep him warm and comfortable and get him to the vet as soon as possible. I would be careful about giving him fluids by mouth, he may have trouble swallowing depending how bad it is.

thanks for the responses...I still have him in the CN right now because he is curled up in his house and I don't want to disturb him, but I think I will put him in the hamster cage with a buddy before I go to sleep, just in case.
Tomorrow is Family Day, so I'm not sure if the vet will be open or not, but I will definitely try to get him in as soon as possible.

In regards to the Dexamethasone...what would that do? Any specific medication anyone can recommend/tell me to avoid?
And assuming it is the ear infection issue...does this mean he was never really treated properly the 1st time, or is it common that once they have had it they can get it again?

Ear infections are very difficult to get rid of. It may be that he didn't fully recover the first time or that he got another one.

If you leave him in the CN, take away the ramp so he can't climb and make sure there is soft food accessible him if he wants.

Chlorpalm or Clavamox are supposed to be good for penetrating the tissue and treating ear infections I believe and they can both be combined with Baytril. Depending on how badly he's doing, it may be too late for treatment. Usually I would say save the money and don't go to an e-vet but in this case, if you can find one that treats rats it may be worthwhile to get him in sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

He needs to see a good rat vet today!
As others have said he need dex (reduces inflamation, given by injection once a day for up to 5 days, although lilaspaz68 has given it for longer time periods). Then I believe you awit a day and start him on predisone.

Antibiotics given for an inner ear infection are usually either baytril + clavamox, or else chlorpalm. These are usually given for at least 6 weeks, although I had a girl who had to be on anitibiotics for almost 4 months before the infection was completely gone.

He needs to be kept warm, comfortable, and hydrated.
Sub-Q fluids would likely help if you know how to do it and have the equiptment.
(info here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6235&start=0
Vets or vet techs will teach people how to do this)

hope he is soon feeling better

It sounds a little more serious than an ear infection. Lack of muscle strength and possible loss of motor skills make me think more along the lines of pituitary tumor or stroke, possible something else affecting the brain. Vet is a must this morning. Be sure and check for odor coming from the ear, that is usually a dead giveaway for ear infection.

I have seen these sudden and drastic ear infections, so I agree with everyone and esp. Victoria's post about leaving him in the CN with the ramp removed. Keep him hydrated and warm, and also see if you can keep him in a box or a house...the vertigo they get is better when there is a close "roof" over their head. Poor lad, praying for both fo you.

lilspaz68 said:
I have seen these sudden and drastic ear infections, so I agree with everyone and esp. Victoria's post about leaving him in the CN with the ramp removed. Keep him hydrated and warm, and also see if you can keep him in a box or a house...the vertigo they get is better when there is a close "roof" over their head. Poor lad, praying for both fo you.

Ask for a dex injection while at the vets, if they won't ask for metacam, both of these will help with inflammation and possibly reduce the tilt/dizziness.

I called this morning and apparently all vets are closed today for Family Day :gaah:

Anybody know what I can do to help him out until tomorrow? Is that too long of a wait?

shhtephanie said:
I called this morning and apparently all vets are closed today for Family Day :gaah:

Anybody know what I can do to help him out until tomorrow? Is that too long of a wait?

Do you have an emergency vet in the area? I don't think you do sadly. You are just going to have to wait and try to keep him comfortable. Can you take a pic or a video?> Is he moving at all?

Yes he is moving, but it's sad when he does because he just starts spinning and rolling.
He's been drinking and he eats a bit....
I closed off the steps between the top and bottom cage of the CN and took out the steps going to the platform in the top cage. I have him in there with a friend right now and then the 2 rougher boys on the bottom.
He has a house in there and an igloo thing and I put in a kleenex box that he is in right now.

I put his food on that main floor and water lowered too...he can drink out of it by himself as long as it doesn't involve lifting his head from the ground.

I can try for pics or video later...right now he is nice and calm and as soon as I go near the cage he still tries to come over to the door to see me but then freaks out and the rolling starts.

It could be ear infection but it also sounds like PT or stroke.

Anyone know if ibuprofen would help? In the same way that metacam might help? I would probably give that a try but wait to see if Victoria, or lilspaz thinks it's a good idea.

You could try some children's Advil (which is ibuprofen); depending upon his weight, I think you could safely give between 0.3 ml to 0.5 ml twice daily to try and reduce inflammation, which may help until you can see a vet. Get the children's, not infant Advil; it comes in various flavors. Keep him hydrated/fed with baby foods, Ensure, soy milk, etc. and nice and warm. You may wish to ask your vet to have some prednisone tablets to keep the house for this sort of things and hopefully he/she will comply. It could very well be ear infection, but if it's stroke or PT, the treatment is the same: steroid to reduce the inflammation - you may have to wait a couple of days to start a steroid if using the Advil - just advise the vet if you do use it. Best of luck.

You'll probably want to give him soft food he can lick up for now, like baby cereal, or softened lab blocks, etc I doubt he will be able to eat the solid foods right now

Teri said:
It sounds a little more serious than an ear infection. Lack of muscle strength and possible loss of motor skills make me think more along the lines of pituitary tumor or stroke, possible something else affecting the brain. Vet is a must this morning. Be sure and check for odor coming from the ear, that is usually a dead giveaway for ear infection.

I wish I had taken a video of my girl before she passed that showed how bad she was. We thought a serious of strokes or a bleeding PT with the vet (and she had no issues 6 hours earlier) but the necro showed a very deep ear infection that penetrated the brain. Next time I have a rat that's off and it's not PT, I'm getting an x-ray to rule out an ear infection (the pus does show up in an x-ray). I felt so bad it was an infection that may have been treatable.

Back