Consult a vet.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Remember to always consult with a vet if your pet is sick and/or in need of immediate attention.
We can simply give you advice based on our real life experiences which may or may not pertain to your situation.

Also, many people don't have a rat savvy vet so they gather information and then go to their vets and share this information with them. But ya, seeing a vet should always be priority!

jorats said:
Also, many people don't have a rat savvy vet so they gather information and then go to their vets and share this information with them. But ya, seeing a vet should always be priority!

My vet is getting better with rats....thanks to everyone on here and all the info I take him. I even gave him my rat care handbook.........
He just preformed his first two rat neuters on the little boys I am babysitting. He did a great job. Very nice neat work.

I think it's fine to consult people if you need general info or suggestions.
Actually, even for emergencies it could be okay, like how to stop a rat from bleeding, and kept the cut from getting infected.

It's so cool how you teach you rat about vets, Dahlas!

I try to encourage people to find an exotic vet with rat experience before getting a pet rat. But I do understand for those who might not one live their area. I've even met a few vets who refused to handle them! Sometimes, you have to encourage people in need of experience vets to travel and find an emergency vet hospital.

Luckily for me, I moved to the city where I have my normal vet while living near a emergency vet hospital that are open 24 hrs.

What I appreciate about this forum are rat owners who had experience with various illnesses. Even though I have owned rats for a long time I never experience conditions like headtilt and squamous carcinoma until the past year or so.

Still we can't give out medication, no examine the animal, or perform surgery! All we can do is give advice! :nod:

I agree all together. I come here alot or pester Jo with PMs sometimes just so I can gather info first before I go...my vet does not work with "pocket pets" and she is getting better with my rats and know more thant I thought she would...but if my girls are just early stage of sicky, I always come here first and arm myself with info and suggestions before going to my vet. Sometimes vets as good as they are don't always know what works when most of you who have countless rats and experience over the years knows what works best even tho each rat is different. Of course, fortunately I have not had to deal with surgerys, long bouts of illness, or anything major with my girls, and I am thankful. I also appriciate this forum very much.

So I def. need to find a vet? Right?
I'm in Orleans, Ont. and that for u is the ghetto of Ottawa, and I'm a bit tight on cash...do I still need a vet?

I would suggest not getting a rat if you don't have the funds to provide basic vet care. :nod: Definitely need a vet, no matter what.

Roo said:
I would suggest not getting a rat if you don't have the funds to provide basic vet care. :nod: Definitely need a vet, no matter what.

Agreed..you cannot own a rat without a vet!

You can't own any animal without having a vet to rely on. That's like having a child and never getting a pediatrician

*Rebel_Angel* said:
I'm in Orleans, Ont. and that for u is the ghetto of Ottawa, and I'm a bit tight on cash...do I still need a vet?

Orleans is the ghetto of Ottawa? I've never thought of it that way. :D

I never had a pediatrician! I didn't even know what that word was until I googled. :giggle: and my ratties see the vet more in one year than I've seen the doctor in five! but yes, vets are most definitely good ideas, though sometimes I post on the forum first since it may not actually be an emergency. ie, last time my rat had some red stuff on his nose when he woke up, and I was worried he was sickly--but after asking around it turned out rats will get that stuff on their face when just waking up, and it's no indication of sickness as long as it's not a lot/he cleans it off after.

free advice has saved me a couple hundred at least, over unnecessary worry-induced vet visits. for what it is, free advice on this forum has been excellent!

I just wanted to see if I would be able to do it without a vet.

O ok, I will go to the store later and there is a vet in that same mall...I will go and ask if they see rat's.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that rats are an expensive pet to keep, even if you obtained all your rats for free like I did. It's entirely likely that you will spend more on a rat in their three years of life than you will on a dog in their twelve years of life. In fact, my dog has never gotten sick and is on a Limited Vaccine Protocol, so I'm willing to bet if I did the numbers, my rats already outweigh him in vet bills. If I end up having to get Whiskers neutered, they definitely will.

Any pet has the potential to become very expensive, though, so the best I can recommend to someone who cannot afford a vet is to re-home their pets to someone who can. Unfortunately, in most places, there isn't a law requiring adequate, timely medical care for pets as there is for children.

KMG365 said:
*Rebel_Angel* said:

Orleans is the ghetto of Ottawa? I've never thought of it that way. :D

neither have I ! In fact, I think Orleans is a lovely area.

There are two vets I know of in Orleans who have expertise with rats. Probably there are more than just two, but I thought I'd pass this info to you to get you started.

Dr. Mary Ellen Dunning at Cumberland Veterinary Hospital. I haven't been to see her, but I've heard lots of good things about her. http://www.cumberlandvethospital.ca/ind ... &pageid=43

Dr. Auger at Crown Pointe Animal Hosptial. I've been to see him, and he's good with rats, but his fees can be pricey, which is the only reason I don't usually recommend him.

Good luck in your search!
Note: If travel to Ottawa is a possibility, there are a few threads on this forum already with info on other vets in Ottawa.

Also.. to your other questions:
You do not need a hep shot. And your rat(s) do not need shots either.
There is only one illness-causing microorganism that can be passed between rats and humans, and that's the streptococci bacterium. i.e. strep throat.

Back