Can rats cough? Possible problems using Benadryl...?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundyrats

Hi, I finally got some Benadryl today but they had so many to choose from. I had to pretend it was for my partner because they don't want to hand it over readily and I can only get the pediatric stuff with a script from the doctor. I bought the Mucus relief plus decongestant which they said is good for blocked noses but it will also clear the chest and induce coughing. I don't want to give this to Rosie if she's going to be coughing up stuff. She's not chesty, she just has very wet snuffly sniffles, which I'm sure is URI but abs haven't really fixed the problem, so I want to try this.
Will it be safe and will she be able to cough up if she needs to?

Each 5ml of oral liquid contains Guaiphenesin 100mg, phenylephrine hydrochloride 5mg.
I think this is way too strong because it works out to be 0.05ml for a 500gram rat...? That's calculating on the Guaiphenesin.....

I also want to try it on Charlotte who is a serial sneezer.

Benadryl is a controlled substance in Australia?

Here in the US we are not allowed to buy pseudoephedrine over the counter (we have to ask a pharmacist and sign for it even though it is still "OTC") but that is because of the Meth problem here in the US.

I am not sure if you should give what you bought to your rat or not. I have heard that it is ok to give benedryl, but I have never tried it and I do think they mean children's benedryl.

Sorry about your rats respiratory issues. I have a rat with a chronic mycoplasma infection and she has been on antibiotics for months and it helps but does not cure her situation, although she seems happy and active.

Antibiotics is probably a better choice for your rattie rather than benedryl, which is designed as an allergy medication.

Hopefully some of the other RatShack members will be able to tell you with more certainty.

Thanks, I think I should be using the childrens one too but I can't get my hands on it without a script.
The abs I had Rosie worked for a short time but then she got bad again. I think I'll have to have her on Dex shots next :(

I'm not familiar with that ingredient. I do know that in the UK, they have this product that is for mucus and it works great on rats. I don't know the dose though.

I believe you need to get a childrens Benadryl without Phenylphrin.

When I was getting Benadryl I first got the wrong one. I got Benadryl-D and it has Phenylephrine which is an ingredient you do not want. You just want Diphenhydramine.

Sorry i dont know how things work there in the UK, I just know to get a benydril perscription, you have to get approval from a vet/doctor and sign for it

This is what in our Over the counter Benedryl, children's.

Medicinal ingredients:
Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 6.25 mg/5 mL
Non-medicinal ingredients:
Benzoate
Carboxymethylcellulose
Citrate
Flavours
Glycerin
Saccharin sodium†
Sorbitol†
Contains 7.83 Kcal/5 mL

Ok, thanks. I'll see what I can find. Not that the people at the chemist (drugstore) are too happy to help because eventually I have to tell them it's for rats and then they just clam up and don't want to give me anything.

I'm surprised they clam up. When we talk to the pharmacist, they do look surprised but they also seem eager for the information and find it rather interesting.
I hope you have some luck!

Back