Swollen Cheek

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrackmote

Hello there,

My two year old rat Byron's cheek has slowly been getting larger over the last week. It's definitely swelling, as the affected area is soft and squishy as opposed to something much harder. I went to the vet and they poked at it with a syringe, but nothing came out. Unfortunately, I'm scant right now and had to pay the bill at a reduced price and it will be a few weeks before I'll have any money to spend aside from food. His activity has been normal, he's been eating regularly, there's been no porphyrin discharge, and he's been otherwise active as he normally is. However, over the past few days his breathing has taken on a quickened pace. I thought this may have been an abscess, but now I'm not so sure. I've just started giving him low doses of baytril and ibuprofen to make sure he's comfortable while I work, but I'm starting to get concerned. Can anyone suggest anything?

ZG tumour or even salivary gland swelling. Antibiotics might help with the salivary gland infection. A ZG tumour will just get worse.

Aren't ZGTs generally hard? I've been reading up on them, and they're described as being hard and lumpy, whereas Byron's cheek is squishy. Is that more symptomatic of salivary gland swelling or a cyst?

The doctor said to wait and try some warm compresses three times a day to see if the swelling goes down. It varies from day to day, but Byron is pretty stubborn and doesn't enjoy sitting still even when he's comfortable. I have some baytril and doxycycline, but I've been stingy on the dosage because I'm not sure what is appropriate in this situation.

Aren't ZGTs generally hard? I've been reading up on them, and they're described as being hard and lumpy, whereas Byron's cheek is squishy. Is that more symptomatic of salivary gland swelling or a cyst?

The doctor said to wait and try some warm compresses three times a day to see if the swelling goes down. It varies from day to day, but Byron is pretty stubborn and doesn't enjoy sitting still even when he's comfortable. I have some baytril and doxycycline, but I've been stingy on the dosage because I'm not sure what is appropriate in this situation.

You said the swelling goes up and down? this is more symptomatic of a blocked salivary gland. I would advisee the compresses and also a gentle massage to see if it unblocks and drains.

If you want to try the antibiotics, tell us how much your rat weighs and what concentration of baytril and doxy you have. Also if the meds are old, then they might be expired as well, so this is important to know as well.

It's been a few days now, and I've been giving Byron several massages a day. It's worth noting that he's a rambunctious fellow who rarely sits still for any length of time, but when I massage his swollen cheek, it's the most receptive I've ever seen him to any sort of physical contact.

Byron is a bigger fellow. I can't remember precisely what his scale read at the veterinarian's office read, but I believe he was just over a pound (about 455 grams). I have a forth of a typical bottle of doxycycline left, and just a little under half a bottle of baytril. Both have been kept refrigerated, both prescribed on the second of September. The doxy's expiration date on the side is 1/31/2018 and the baytril reads 9/30/2016.

Hello, everyone. Update on Byron. So, his swelling fluctuates, but has remained more or less the same size since I last posted. I've noticed that when I do get the opportunity to massage him, especially after I have been gone for a while (I work two jobs), the swelling becomes harder, but quickly goes back to being squishy after I massage it. I'm ten days away from my pay period, after which Byron is getting an immediate vet visit.

I've been giving him moderate doses of the doxycycline and baytril. While I haven't had a problem administering them (Byron loves chocolate sauce), I've noticed that whenever he has taken the medication is when he begins breathing rapidly. Is this perchance a side effect of one of the medications?

I did have one rat that could not tolerate doxycycline, but he would refuse it. I think if the meds made him feel poorly, he would stop taking it.
Maybe it is just from the excitement of having meds?
Maybe it is the chocolate/sugar in the sauce?

Hi, everyone. I finally got Byron into the vet today, as his breathing difficulties were getting worse and he was losing his appetite. It is with great sadness to report that when the doctor went in to operate, she found that the lump was in fact a large, unusual tumor pressing on his trachea and jugular. It would have been a risky and invasive operation with little guarantee that he would have made it through. I made the decision to let him go and be with his brother, who also recently passed. Thank you to everyone here for your advice.

I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to your little man. :(
I'm glad you found out what the problem was. It makes it a little easier to let him go.
RIP Byron, play hard at the Bridge...

Back