Taking a look in Toronto

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn_C

Hello,

I couldn't remember my login information for my previous account - sorry for the duplicate!

After taking a break from rats for a couple of years I'm starting to make inquiries about getting another. My ideal situation would be similar to one we experienced years ago when there was a little rat train to transport Nuage from the Barrie SPCA. He was a lone rat and despite past success with intros, could not for the life of me get him to get along with my males. Due to finances and living in a studio apartment, I'm putting the feelers out for another rat that's a suck for people but simply not happy with other rats. I don't expect it to be easy to find but am patient. I've managed to avoid peeking in the feeder tanks in local pet stores. I made that error once and saw stunning, sweet rats smooshed into terrariums and obviously had fought due to horrific living conditions. I don't want to support an establishment like that so am hoping to find a rescue situation instead.

If anyone knows of a potential match, feel free to email me at bronwyncoombs at gmail dot com! I will try to check back here periodically but have noticed there aren't too many postings for my area. I'm in no rush.

Welcome back.

As you know rats need to live with other rats and two rats require the same amount of space as one rat.
I do understand about finances as my situation is not good either.

Usually when boys do not get along with other rats, they need a neuter ... and possibly intros to a spayed female or to a pair of babies.
I hope that you change your mind and get a pair of rats.

good luck with finding the right (pair of) rats

Last edited:
True, and I did push him for months. I recall feeling guilty and inadequate as a rat owner at the time, that he wasn't responding to intros. One of the well respected members here (who I believe is still active) assured me sometimes it happens. Sometimes it's not worth months of stress watching them cut up other rats on neutral territory. My intention was to neuter him but he had a medical issue (respiratory I believe?) that made him not a candidate for any form of surgery.

I hope those who remember me will recall that I always put forth my best effort with my rats and that I'm fully aware of their needs.

Last edited:
Although I do agree that rats need company, obviously that much is fact, but from my own experience I can say that some males which learn territorial or aggressive behaviors at and after sexual maturity I have found to be very difficult to change.
I have 3 males, which have been extremely aggressive to other rats and I have tried everything to bond them. I've cage swapped. I've monitored out time. I've tried vanilla on the butt. I've gone slow and careful as I possibly could but they still will fight to the point of injuring themselves or the other. Oh I also neutered them all. Then I tried bonding the most mellow one to a couple of females, which worked alright at first, but then they became busy towards him, and his normally curious playful behavior became more frightened and withdrawn. He slowly became depressed, so I took the female pair away (just to their own cage) and he's improved. The best I have been able to do for these types of rats are give them lots of free run time and attention as I can.
My trio of singles are fantastic amazing and loving boys and as much as I wish I could impart one to you, I am attached to all 3, also they are all surrenders...they came from people who were pretty upset to have to give up their rat(s) and I have made a lifelong promise to them, so there's no way I could give them up. They play wrestle with me, they know some simple commands (Albert, come here! Albert, stop that! Albert, TREAT!) ect ect.
I actually do have a 4th that I am still working with...he's sadly quite mistreated and is mortally afraid of hands. I can't touch him at all, ever. But, I have gotten him to let me kiss and nuzzle him with my face, and sometimes he'll go in my shirt. He's pretty crazy so I call him Screwy Louie. Poor dude. I'm about to build him a big play area when I move, so I hope he will find some more things to enjoy. Right now he just likes food and boxes.
Good luck to you! And, adopting a pair is a wonderful and rewarding thing, I do highly recommend it! It's very heartwarming to watch them cuddle, play, and cause mischief together, and often they are happier healthier rats too! If you find some in a shelter I can probably bring them to toronto for you, I'm in orillia. Actually, I just replied to a post in this forum about 2 males in Barrie, perhaps that could work for you? I can bring them. And I will check them out first. Let's hope they are still available.
Good luck!!

Please adopt this rat: http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adopt-a-pet/small-pets/28012155

I asked Toronto Animal Services to pick him up when someone dumped him and his siblings. He stayed there until they closed for the Summer for the Pan Olympics.

Since then, I have tried to follow his progress but he has been in the shelter system since April, I believe. I don't know if he is actually female as Toronto Humane Society and TAS originally said he was male.

I have not been able to take him due to my own circumstances but have felt bad ever since his rescue since I put him in that shelter. (THS is great, but I feel terrible about his lack of prospects.)

Back