What do we think of this diet?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitchiq

I'm plenty happy with my rat's current diet (and he's been on it for most of his life so I'm not going to switch it up on him), but I was browsing around on the internet for info about rat longevity. I've read the thread on here about everyone's oldest ratties, and the theories about how rats' growing popularity as pets have weakened them genetically because of how quickly they're being churned out and how many different variations are being pushed. In my searches, East Coast Rattery popped up, I think because the breeder has all this stuff on her website about strengthening lines, increasing longevity, etc. I'm personally anti-breeder and pro-rescue (and am well aware that the Rat Shack agrees), but what I'm curious about is the recipe she has on her site for the special blend she feeds her rats.

Here's the link: https://eastcoastrattery.weebly.com/my-rats-diet--supporting-research.html

She says she feeds it alongside Oxbow Regal, and the particulars about preparation and portions are towards the bottom of the page. I'm just wondering if someone with more knowledge/experience than me would give it a look-see and comment on it. Again, my boy seems plenty happy with his current diet, but I'm just doing some research and poking around. It might be helpful for future rats!

Here's the recipe in case the link doesn't load:
Ingredients:
*1-2 lbs ground turkey or beef
*1 large sweet potato, baked peeled, and mashed
*1 winter squash, baked, peeled, and mashed
*5 carrots, peeled and shredded
*1/2 winter squash, boiled, peeled, and mashed
*1 green zucchini, shredded or blended
*1 yellow zucchini, shredded or blended
*1 or 2 shredded apples
*1/2 lb broccoli (or one head), diced or blended
*1lb green beans, diced or blended
*1 bag spinach, diced or blended
*1lb peas
*1 bundle rainbow (or swiss) chard or collard greens, diced or blended
*1 bundle kale, diced or blended
*coconut oil
*bone broth (requires bones and apple cider vinegar) - BONE BROTH RECIPE CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://paleoleap.com/making-fresh-bone-stock/

Herbs
Once mix is complete, add:
-Kelp powder
-cinammon
-Dill
-parsley
-turmeric
-Garlic powder
-chlorella
-Spirulina
-wheat grass powder

Preparation:
-Boil the winter squash and sweet potato, make sure they are peeled. Mash and set aside.
-Boil the ground meat in water (just enough to float the meat) and mash with hand or other utensil until in very small pieces.
-Shred or blend zucchini, carrots, and apple.
-Dice or blend broccoli, spinach, kale, green beans, and chard/collards

Directions:
In pot of meat, add carrots, green and yellow zucchini, and broccoli. Add enough bone broth to float the mixture. Once water boils, simmer mixture for 10 minutes or until veggies are barely soft. Then, add all other veggies and simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn heat on low and add coconut oil and all herbs. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly integrated. Turn off heat. Allow to cool. Then, store in freezer in small bags or icecube trays. This is a time consuming recipe but lasts FOREVER when made in large batches!

1522012-10203027279311394-1662926089-n.jpg

1546433-10203027278831382-1678852024-n.jpg

1503225-10202922909302209-753518300-n.jpg

You might try putting it into chronometer and compare it to the nutritional requirements of rats.

Personally, I don't get it .... basically it sounds like she is using a good quality block and supplementing it with other things.

The recommended diet for rats is a good quality block (oxbow or Harlan Teklad 2014) and daily vegs (a wide variety) and occasional healthy treats such as berries, a piece of fruit, cooked grains (such as oatmeal or quinoa - actually seeds), organic pumpkin seeds, organic kumut puffs, etc
............... low protein, best from plant sources because research (such as the China study) shows that eating meat (animal products) causes cancer in rats
............ whole foods whenever possible, with no added sugar, or salt, etc

So, other then including animal products (not healthy for rats) and giving exact amounts of some types of a limited number of veg, I am not sure how different this is .... btw as you know people need to check the forbidden foods list
BTW research is now finding that coconut oil is not healthy and there is controversy about some of her suggestions such as Spirulina

There is a post (now lost somewhere on this forum because the ref section is gone and so are stickied threads) that you can search for (I think by Jorats) that includes info on herbs and supplements that can be added to the diet for health benefits

My rats love baby kale, broccoli, frozen/thawed peas, baked squash, cooked sweet potato, carrot sticks and cooked carrots, mixed greens, organic corn, homemade veg + bean + lentil soup, a few cooked chick peas or cooked kidney beans, blueberries in cooked oatmeal, a piece of ripe banana, cooked pumpkin, cooked quinoa, etc .... does it help them live longer - i don't know, but I believe that feeding a good quality block (until someone comes up with something better) plus a wide variety of vegs and occasional fruits and grains and seeds .... will help their immune systems and help them be healthy

Some people say Debbie D's diet helps rats live longer (she does have a meat free version) but it has to be followed exactly. I don't know if this is true

Sorry I couldn't answer your question but I hope this helps

image-35.jpg

image-36.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't feed any meat or bones or anything like that to rats. They require so little protein and fat, it's not necessary and could in fact be harmful.
Berries and veggies are a good supplement to blocks.

img-0014-1-122.jpg

image.jpg

Back