Getting a new cat...problems!?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

So we're getting a cat that was advertised on kijiji. The couple have put up flyers about this girl and no responses so they feel it upon theirselves to advertise her and I said I'd take her.
She has fleas... apparently, I've got all the necessary stuff here for it but this means I'd have to take her from the front door to the bathroom without contaminating anything. Is this possible??

Fleas are a pain to deal with. They can jump on or off and go on just about anything and anyone. If you have other cats or dogs in the home, the fleas will find them. Any chance you can treat kitty without bringing in the home first?

Fleas are a nightmare.

You want to get her some Capstar (vet prescription med) which will kill all the fleas within I think it is 6 hours or so.... and it starts killing the adult fleas within an hour. If there was a way to get that into her before you bring her home I would do that!

I believe you can dose with Capstar and Revolution at the vet at the same time. The Capstar will immediately start killing the adults, and then the Revolution will work for longterm.

Fleas will infest any animal, including your rats. Sometimes vacuuming isn't enough to get them out of the house once they are in... you actually have to fumigate/spray with flea stuff and ugh.

I have a cat already. I mean I can spray the cat down outside but the water will be cold and such. I have friends that I can do it at their house but the cat is being dropped off while I'm at work. I just want the baby to havea good home. Hmmm my other debate is cabbing it to St Catharines tomorrow to get her then use my friends house to wash her in as they are going away.

Is there any chance that you could go over to the cats current house, dose it with Revolution or Advantage, then pick it up again in a couple of days?
Fleas are a nightmare, my Horatio had them when I first got him. They will suck the blood out of everyone, they are not species specific. I remember being bitten and it still gives me the heebie jeebies almost a decade later.
If you do bring him home while he has them, you will have to dose everyone. To see if they are still around, a trick is to train a lamp into a bowl of water on the floor with a drop of dishwashing liquid in it. The fleas jump in the bowl because of the heat of the lamp thinking it is someone that they want to suck blood out of. They will skim the top of the water and not drown, that is why you add the drop of soap to the water. It breaks the tension of the water and makes them sink and drown. Do this for two or three weeks to ensure that they are gone.
I hope everything works out for you and the new puss.

I'm hoping its not a bad infestation but she's been outside. So we'll see tomorrow when we bring her home.

Okay so the new girl didn't have fleas as bad as I thought she did. One or two thats all, seriously. So we brought her straight into the bathroom and right into the bath. Gave her a flea bath, now she's just chilling in the bathroom.

So the beautiful girl is settling in nicely, she needs a name. She's very timid but can hold her own against Morgan. Morgan and her could be twins and you'll see why in pics.

My new beautiful girl
beautifulgirl2.jpg

Beautifulgirl.jpg

And just to show how skinny she is
windowgirl.jpg

This is Morgan, they could be the same cat
Claws.jpg

MorganTootsie.jpg

They are both gorgeous, I have a soft spot for marmalade tabbies!
It is so rare to find a female, only 1 in 27 marmalade tabbies are female.
I see that you use those cap things on Morgans nails. Can I ask how they are working out? Do they stay on? How often do you need to have them replaced? Was he a small kitten when you started using them? Does he take them off himself?
I hope that they end up being the best of friends.

Vanessa said:
They are both gorgeous, I have a soft spot for marmalade tabbies!
It is so rare to find a female, only 1 in 27 marmalade tabbies are female.
I see that you use those cap things on Morgans nails. Can I ask how they are working out? Do they stay on? How often do you need to have them replaced? Was he a small kitten when you started using them? Does he take them off himself?
I hope that they end up being the best of friends.
When I got them I got the small ones. Now thats she's 9 or 10 months she needs the next size up. Unfortunately I didn't realize until two would not come off! At all! But after about 8 weeks they finally fell off and I'm not trying them again till I get the next size.
They are amazing. She was about 5 months when I first put them on her and she took 1 off the first day but they lasted 4 weeks. Front paws only for the first set. I did the back paws the second time as well. These came off a lot quicker I found. They shed off with the natural shedding of the nail. Unless the nail grows significantly in that time period. But they fall off eventually..

BTW... The girls got really close to each other and I took another picture. The new girl was really dehydrated and I didn't notice, she was laying down barely moving or responding so I made her drink some water. She's looking 10x better. She also spent about 10 min at the water dish.
twotogehter.jpg

Back