Wound on baby rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlize

Today I noticed a head wound on one of my baby rats (3 mos old). It was no longer bleeding by the time I saw it. She got it sometime today, I suspect from her sister. Her sister had the wet sneezes all day today, so I suspect that she was feeling unwell.

I've dabbed the wound with salt water and put polysporin on it for now. However, her sister (who is the only rat living with her) won't leave her polysporin head alone.

I'm not sure if it's better to keep them in the cage together, or put the wounded one in a separate cage - even though being separated will stress her out.

Thoughts?

Keep them together. It would have been an accident and separation will cause stress and that may make them ill.

Please do not put any ointment on the baby' wound. Rats heal quite fast but ointment can create problems with healing. Please rinse/wipe it off .... not great for rats to eat .... actually I don't have a tube around - what does it say to do if eaten? http://ratguide.com/health/trauma/wounds.php

Please watch the ill baby closely. How does her breathing sound when you hold her up to your ear and listen to both sides of her chest? Is she using any increased effort to breath? She may be developing an infection and if so will need to see a vet and get antibiotics

Last edited:
Thanks!!

I've been keeping an eye on the sick one. Got her booked into the vet today, just in case.

The other one seems to be fine - wound doesn't appear infected.

Wounds heal really fast on rats and like SQ said, don't put ointments on them. It causes them to heal to fast, trapping any possible infections. I'm happy she's doing fine now.

Back