Angry Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trosit

I thought I would share Gusteau's first trip to the vet w me. He's super hormonal and bit the vet tech D: Look how puffy he is! He got shoed in for a neuter this Friday right quick.

20170926_191016.jpg

20170926_191111.jpg

He will once he has the neuter done. I just got him from the humane society. He was the last rat of a hoard of 20 they said. Once he heals and gets some sweet loving care I'll be bonding him with my PEW rat, Ivory :)

Gus looks super puffy but not horrific :) The neuter should really help, but it might take a long time for his hormones to settle and him to learn how to be nice. If he was from a hoarding situation its likely he's unhandled and very scared which adds gasoline to any hormonal issues. Take your time, he looks like he could be quite a sweetie :)

He reminds me of one of my old boys before his neuter. I bet it'll help, given a little time. My guy was a totally different rat after his hormones sorted out.

That's so good to hear! Honestly too scared to give him treats by hand right now (He bit me 4 times and has chased me). But every time I look at him all I see is this sweet rat, really really sweet rat who's scared and confused. We're going to be going so slow.

My vet was a bit awful and gave me the option of putting him down right away ;_; Obviously I'm going to do the neuter instead and give it at least a month for some improvement. My rat rescue friend said she'll take him if he proves too much to handle.

That's so good to hear! Honestly too scared to give him treats by hand right now (He bit me 4 times and has chased me). But every time I look at him all I see is this sweet rat, really really sweet rat who's scared and confused. We're going to be going so slow.

My vet was a bit awful and gave me the option of putting him down right away ;_; Obviously I'm going to do the neuter instead and give it at least a month for some improvement. My rat rescue friend said she'll take him if he proves too much to handle.

Let yourself be a little optimistic. You did the right thing by giving him this chance. And almost all my hormonal boys improved with a neuter. And giving him a month or two is good. Jinn, my angry boy, took almost two to totally calm down, but he was safe to handle in one.

And I've had one rat with neurological issues who never quit biting, but the neuter calmed him down enough that we could make life work out really well. Even if this doesn't eliminate all your problems, it should give you more options and a big boost.

I'm so discouraged right now ;_; The vet just called to cancel Gusteau's appointment because the vet tech who got bit had a swelling reaction. Their putting him on a quarantine period which I don't understand at all. Should I go to a different vet? Would the initial evaluation fee be worth it ($89 at my last vet when I lived out East. They gouged me at $90 plus another $65 for an unnecessary poop test here)?

When I went for the initial check up they immediately booked him for a neuter (which would be tomorrow). They're saying now that because the vet tech's bite is swelling that I can't do the neuter for at least 10 days. Absolutely no tests are being run on Gusteau. I'm confused as to why he needs to be quarantined. No surgery, no secondary check up, just here in his cage at home.

Last edited:
Are they waiting to see if the tech gets something dreadful? But, I'm surprised if they are wanting the 10 day wait, that they are not examining Gusteau to see what they think he may have.

Best wishes on the outcome. And try to relax some for yourself.

they did a fecal and told you he had pinworms? well unless he's showing bad signs of overinfestation, all rats have some pinworms and they are harmless to humans.

Do i dare ask the clinic's name?

They are either QT'g for rabies (hilarious) or RBF (rat bite fever) which is hilarious as well. Did they say where the tech was bitten? hand or fingers are typical. IF you don't take ibuprofen right away a good chomp can swell up a LOT but means nothing. Its just the body's reaction to the trauma. Sigh.

After a lot of thought I am sure I want to switch vets. Remembering how the doctor offered euthanizing him as a first option after the vet tech got bit (on her hand) ticked me off. "Some rats never get over biting if it's a habit. It's nice to know you're willing to try the neuter first. But don't get your hopes up", she responded when I said no. It was the High Park Vet in Toronto. Dr. Regal I believe.

They did not give me any feedback about the poop test - they said they'd only notify if something was wrong. Only Animal Services has called me.

I am switching to Links Road Vet recommended by a friend. I just called them for an appointment next week. Thank you for excellent surgery info! I had definitely looked at this guide and am ready for it. This was really just supposed to be a puffy Gusteau thread ;_; It has really escalated into this drama.

Last edited:
OMG as soon as you said poop test, I should've known it was High Park!!! They are AWFUL! They were my first exotic vet clinic since I lived down the street...the stories I could tell, they were incompetent and also they are price gougers...at the time I didn't know better...the stories I could tell you!!!
They also told me to get a fecal done and told me my rat had pinworms...I asked if the worms were affecting his health and would they affect me? They said "well no..." but were very upset with me for not treating him (lining their pockets!).

After this I asked around and found the best rat vet in Ontario, called Dr Munn. He was my rescue vet for many many years and one of the reasons I know so much now. Sadly he moved too far for me to get to without a car. You might want to consider him if you drive...he's freaking worth the drive, LOVES rats, is incredibly capable with hormonal monsters (he's neutered my worst hormonal rescue boys) with no bites or silly calls to TAS. Links is a moderate rat clinic, sometimes they are decent, but sometimes they are not.

Back