Respiratory infection??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie_0599

My rat Bessie started having porphyrin (sp?) discharge on her nose and making grunting/wheezy noises when she breathes about two days ago. She already has an appointment at the vet tomorrow because I immediately thought the worst. She's just under three months old and none of my others are showing signs of symptoms.

I am in Florida so I had some VERY aromatic pine in my house before it got cut and put on the windows outside for hurricane Irma. I think that is where it stemmed from.

Today her noises weren't as loud and not as frequent.

Does anyone have any advice for her four cage mates two of them are her sisters, and then the other two are about six months and are also sisters. None of them are showing symptoms and I've been watching VERY closely. So I don't think anything is wrong but I don't want to be complacent when something could be done as a preventative.

I assume you lost your A/C for awhile during Irma? That there might have been a sudden temp change (which is actually harder on rats than a consistently low or higher temp)? Or maybe the stress of the scary winds etc? This would stress her immune system and she might develop a respiratory infection from a myco flareup. Its very doubtful that the others will develop anything at all, since they are all still fine now. She won't be contagious so she will be the only one who needs to be treated. let us know how the vet visit goes and what you are given (try to get a weight on your little lady, the concentration of the antibiotics, and the dose you were being told to give, so we can double check your dosing to make sure its effective :))

Thank you so much!!
Yeah we were out of power for a week and then even when it came back on our AC was out for another three or four days.

When I get off work I'll see if my scale at home will cooperate along with Bess to get a weight on her.

So I went home to check her and everyone and get weights on them and her lungs sound normal? When I did a rat telephone she sounds the same as everyone else(silent, and I can only hear her heart beating) And she isn't making the grunting/wheezing noise anymore no matter how excited she gets. Should I cancel the vet appointment? I'm tight on money so if I don't need to spend seventy bucks I won't.

see how she is tonight and in the morning

and pay very careful attention to her breathing and how much effort she is using, how she is breathing, etc even if she is not making any sounds ..... because rats can be in serious trouble and not have a lot of sounds - I presently have a 1 year old boy with little usable lung space that sounds fine to me

Last edited:
So it's in the morning now. She is still active and running around like normal her breathing is still silent, and SQ I did pay attention and I do not see her physically struggling to breathe or breathing super shallowly. I'm leaving for work now and I think I'm going to call in to cancel once the office opens.

Doesn’t sound like a terrible idea. Just keep a hawk eye on her and schedule that appointment again if anything changes.

Back