poop problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valfrench

I wonder if you can help me? I am looking after 5 baby rats whose mother has died. I have had them for 5 days now and in the last few days their eyes have opened and they are now climbing all over the place. I am having trouble getting them to go to the toilet though, there seems to be little black grains in their bedding so maybe they are managing alone. Two of them (possibly males) have what looks like poop blocked half in their anus, I have tried massaging it out and even very very gently pulling on it, but don't want to be to harsh as it may be part of their anatomy. This has been going on for three days at least. They are very active and don't seem to be dehydrated. I am staying in India at the moment, so have no access to medical help for them. They are brown rats that live in the sand and peoples houses. Do you have any advice

The little black grains in their bedding sounds like poop.

Since they have their eyes open and it sounds like they are starting to try solids, I don't believe they need to be massaged in order to pass stool and urine any more.

Are their abdomen's becoming enlarged? Can you isolate the babies you are concerned about for a few hours so you can tell if they are pooping?

Please post some pictures so we can see what you are seeing.

Congrats on the sweet babies, so glad that they survived.

Back