Foot injury?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ipetzombies

When I was passing out treats and saying hi to our rats tonight I realized one of our girls, Betty, has an injured paw. I think it's something that happened today as they went out for free time yesterday as usual and I didn't notice anything.

She is holding her front left paw up, not walking on it, and it looks a bit swollen and like maybe there was bleeding or bruising under the skin. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, she is still walking around, eating, etc. She did not squeak or seem to be in pain when I touched and lightly squeezed the foot.

I had my fiance hold her so I could take a few pictures, it kind of looks like she may have injured between her toes?

I'm not really sure what to do for her. From what I've read, there's not much a vet visit can do for her unless there's an infection or severe swelling that won't go down. Should I get some infant ibuprofen or Tylenol for her? I'm comfortable with medicating her and figuring out dosing, etc. Anybody have any idea what this looks like?

Certainly if there's no improvement in a few days, we will be making a vet visit but I want to do anything I can for her! I've never dealt with injury so much as illness in my ratties.

Here are the photos.
https://imgur.com/gallery/QlNQG

Thanks!

Is it infected? I am seeing a lot of what looks like dried pus.

If so, then she needs to be put on an antibiotic (such as clavamox) asap so I suggest an immediate vet visit
She may also need pain meds to help with pain and reduce swelling.
Keep an eye out for swelling because if there is too much, it can interfere with the flow of blood.

I hope that she is soon feeling much better

Irl and in better lighting, it doesn't look like dried pus so much as a scabbed over wound. It's been dry the entire time. We've been cleaning it but nothing comes off. The swelling has not gotten worse, maybe a tiiiiny bit better. I'm keeping an eye on it and if the swelling doesn't go down in a day or two, we will be making a vet visit for sure.

Back