2 possibly sick rats from same breeder

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo2701

So about a week ago I got 2 new baby rats and my sister got one from the same breeder. The past few days my one rat has been lathargic and just sitting in his cage not really moving but his pal is fine. My sister's rat who's in a completely different house has started to act the same way. She has noticed he isn't eating and not moving much.

We've only had these little guys for such a short amount of time... And believe they might be sick and it can't be a coincidence since they are from the same breeder. Does anyone know what this could be? I've already contacted the breeder. But if nothing changes do you think we should return them to the breeder?

I think you should take them to a good vet, knowledgeable and experienced in treating rats Immediately!!!

Rats get sick and die quickly without medical care.
You need to get them that care asap

How old are they?
Are they dehydrated? (when you gently pull up on the skin on the back of the neck and let go, does it snap back into place? If not they are likely dehydrated - dehydration kills)
Mix for dehydration or give Pedilite from drug store, they may need sub-Q fluids given by the vet http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8730

Sneezing? Laboured breathing? Head tilt?

What are you feeding them?

When you hold them up to your ear and listen to both sides of their chest do you hear noise, wheezing or congestion?

How many sources of water are available and what types - they need at least 2 sources and at least one needs to be a dish that can not be upset .... babies may look like they are getting water out of water bottles but their tongues are not strong enough to move the ball bearing so they can't get any water

Try giving them a shallow dish of organic infant soy formula from the baby section of the grocery store or supermarket - you can thicken it with baby cereal.
give foods with fluid ...... you might offer soft food such as baby food, pieces of a boiled egg etc

They need to see a good vet immediately !!

Last edited:
The one baby is 8 weeks. I'm not sure if he is dehydrated but I managed to get him some water.

He does have laboured breathing and red around his eyes and nose. I'm assuming a respiratory infection since I've dealt with it before. I gave him some baytril and doxy for now to see if it help till I can get him in to a vet.

I gave him 2 sources of water the bottle and a dish that can't be knocked over. They are fed pellets. I'm going to pick up some baby food and the baby soy formula tonight to get some food in to him. Cause everything I offer him he is not taking. I literally had to force feed him the medication and the dehydration mix.

He does not have a head tilt and I've checked him for symptoms of an ear infections and he doesn't have them. I'm hoping the baytril and doxy help till I can see the vet.

He only weights 200grams so based off the dosages I'm giving him .01ml baytril which is 10% and 0.02 of doxy which is concentration of 50mg/ml. Twice a day. Does that seem right?

He weighs 200 g = 0.2 kg
baytril dose often used is 10 mg/kg http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php

so he should get 2 mg (0.2 kg x 10 mg/kg)
If the strength of the baytril is 10 % (which I think is 100 mg/ml) see :
*Note: If choosing to use Baytril 10%, keep in mind it has a concentration of 100 mg per 1 mL.
Also, because the injectable can be so caustic to tissue it must be diluted for all routes.

then he needs 0.02 ml twice a day (0.02 ml x 100 mg/ml = 2 mg) But make sure you dilute it by mixing it in something

Doxy dose is 5 mg/kg http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/doxycycline.php

so he should get 1 mg (0.2 kg x 5 mg/kg = 1mg)
so 0.02 ml twice a day is right (0.02 ml x 50 mg/ml = 1 mg)

If it doesn't help you might try azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) + baytril, orally twice a day for 6 weeks if it helps (azithromycin is aa antibiotic for babies available by vet prescription from a human pharmacy)

If you are syringe feeding, make sure meds or food are going into the side of the mouth as straight in may cause them to go into his lungs

Please make sure that your sister's baby has also started on antibiotics, is being helped as you are helping your baby and has a vet appointment asap as well

Last edited:
The baby isn't eating because it is difficult to eat and breath at the same time.
You and your sister will need to keep the babies hydrated and taking nutrition ... the organic soy formula thickened with baby cereal should help with that.
Making the blocks into mush by soaking them in cool water will also make them easier to eat

Thanks for the help. I'll be taking my sister's rat in order to treat them both. I'll be syringing their meds and do the soy formula with baby food morning and night. Will also leave some in their cage for during the day if they finally get the energy to eat.

Thanks for the help. I'll be taking my sister's rat in order to treat them both. I'll be syringing their meds and do the soy formula with baby food morning and night. Will also leave some in their cage for during the day if they finally get the energy to eat.

You can thicken the formula with baby cereal, in addition to giving some baby food

My sister decide she doesn't want to deal with a sick rat... So I'm going to take him in to live with my 2 babies. And if he ends up needing long term care I can give it to him.

My sister decide she doesn't want to deal with a sick rat... So I'm going to take him in to live with my 2 babies. And if he ends up needing long term care I can give it to him.

I hope she doesn't have any other rats and that she doesn't get any more, because all animals get ill and need care, especially rats ......
so glad that you are getting him, hope he starts meds asap, hope that both babies make it

I will be taking him home tonight and getting him on meds straight away. My guy has already had a days worth of medication.

My third rat who is currently healthy, do you think I should give him meds just as a precaution?

My sister's rat is actually from the same litter as my little ones so they should be very happy together.

My fiancee came home for lunch today and apparently my little guy has mustered the energy to climb the cage bars and get himself all comfy in a hammock. Hopefully the meds and what I'm syringing him is helping him get his energy back.

sounds good. Personally I would not put the 3rd baby on meds unless he starts to become ill. I would suggest keeping a very close eye on him and putting him on meds at the first sign of illness

But Lilspaz68 or Jorats or one of the other experienced rat owners may have a different opinion

Well a few scratches later both rats have been given their medication. My sister's rat just licked it off the spoon but my rat was a different story. He wanted nothing to do with it. So I held him down and fed it to him and managed to get a syringe worth of the soy baby formula in him as well. He still isn't eating much but he is drinking and moving around a lot more. My sister's rat seems so be acting quite normal and back to eating.

So 2 weeks later and now the little guy who was healthy is now sick. I had been monitoring him and he had no signs and even yesterday he was good. Today I woke up and he is wheezing real bad with discharge around his nose and barely moving. I gave him meds, got some water in him and put some baby formula in the cage.

It just makes no sense to me... How is he fine one day and sick the next... Hopefully he recovers like the others. Would he of possibly caught it from the other 2 rats but just took longer for him to show signs?

Back