Baby rat has lice! any experienced help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit confused s to what I need to administer the revolution,Do I need a syringe with a needle or can I order one without? Also what size do I need? will a 1cc be small enough?

I cant find any on amazon that come with a needle at the 1cc size, which I think I need since the dose is so small? is there somewhere else to get them? Im going to ask my mom if she can grab me one at the hospital (she is a RN)

You can ask for one at any pharmacy, they usually have them behind the counter. You do need a 1 cc syringe. If not your mom may be able to get one for you. I think insulin syringes are 1 cc but the needle isn't always removable. Anyone that works in a vet clinic would be able to get one for you. You may want to search the smaller online pet supply stores also, they're more likely to have medical supplies. Or ebay.

Pharmacy's here will give you the syringe, but they aren't going to give you a needle. Even if you tell them it for medical purposes unless you have a prescriptoin for it. We get our's from the vet and my fiance is a paramedic and can get them that way. Have your mom get one. You can always squeeze the tube into a small bowl and draw it up into the syringe that way, but then you have to try and get the unless portion back into the tube. Its too expense to throw away.

You can store the unused portion in the syringe in the freezer, that's the point of drawing it out. I do it all the time.

I'm pretty sure pharmacies will sell needles without a prescription, I buy needles from a US site (Medex Supply) to use with my animals and they don't require prescriptions for the needles or syringes. Even with IV drug users, it's generally accepted that it's better to give them clean needles because a lack of clean needles/syringes is not going to deter them from using drugs and the overall benefit from access to them far outweighs any risks.

Just got my revolution in the mail! But I should still wait a week to treat her since she is only about 4 weeks. Should I treat my adult rat now or wait to do both at once? Neither are showing signs of lice any more so the natural lice treatments must have worked well. should I treat baby with another oil bath or just wait?

P.S.
Still having problems finding a 1 cc syringe W/neadle

Worse come to worse you can cut open the vial but it will evaporate quickly so you have to work quickly.

I think it's fine to not give the baby another oil bath if she doesn't have signs of lice. You can treat your adults now, treat the baby next week, and treat everyone again a month from now. (Revo doses are safe to give a week apart.) Or you can hold off treating the adults if you don't have the syringe.

My mom had a one cc syringe w/ needle hoarded away! (Because she is a nurse in the NICU, not because she does drugs lol)

I just read through the site you posted and this caught my eye "For smaller sized rats greater than 5 weeks and under 4 months reduce dosage by half.”
Does this mean baby should only get 3mg/kg?

Hello, I was wondering how this turned out? I have a 6 week old rat with mites and I don't know if its safe to treat her with the spot on treatment I got for my other adult rat.
Vet didn't know either, but the book at the vets said "when sexually mature". Which I know rats probably are at 6 weeks but she so small I just feel nervous. I have a weight appropriate does for her from the vet. But I would love to speak to someone with experience doing this to check its fine as my vet was unsure.

Thanks!

Revolution is the recommended treatment.

See http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php

This article from rat guide says “Do not use Selamectin / Revolution on sick or malnutritioned rats, or on rats that are under 5 weeks old. For smaller sized rats greater than 5 weeks and under 4 months reduce dosage by half.”*

and "it is important to keep in mind that young developing animals have a permeable blood brain barrier which can be more susceptible to the toxic effects of these substances than in adult animals"

I would suggest you discuss this with your vet. Remember the amount given is based on weight so it is important to weight the rat with a digital scale that weighs accurately to 1 gram

hope this info helps

Thank you!

Yeah I saw the 5 week thing. The vet gave me a spot on called Xeno, which its a ivermectin and I've done one does on my adult (related every 2 weeks). Maybe I should get Revolution for the young one and start using it at 8 weeks? And keep the adult on their course of Xeno. It just seems so pointless treating the adult and not the young one. I can't keep them separate because I've made the call it will be more damaging to the baby to be isolate for 6 weeks at this developmental age, than getting mites. Hope thats the correct call.

I would give baby 5 mg/kg. We recommend 10 mg/kg for adults. If she's healthy and strong you can dose her at 4 weeks. If she's tint and frail wait til 5. Rats tolerate Revo very well. I've dosed a 3 week orphan before but prefer to wait til 4-5 weeks.

yes give the baby revolution
your call when but as both the article and Lilspaz68 said, a half dose should be ok if the baby is 5 weeks old

How much does the baby weigh?
(you will want to use a digital scale that weighs accurately to 1 gram)

Back