How long for pituitary meds to work?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Rattie

Hi All, I haven't posted here before but am having a really bad time with my rats and could really do with some advice. I lost a rat to CHF just two weeks ago and am most probably on the verge of losing another one to a PT.

My girl started with PT symptoms last weekend. She was at the vet on Monday and had a shot of dexamethasone, to last five days. Up until yesterday she wasn't getting any worse, but I didn't really see much improvement either. Although her symptoms until that point were quite mild and so it was difficult to see any changes: not being able to hold food, circling and very slight head tilt. She was still very active and eating OK.

I discussed carbergoline on Monday with the vet, but it took a couple of days to get the human version of the medicine and so she only had her first dose about 20 hours ago: 0.25 mg and she is 450g. Yesterday evening I was thinking that she seemed worse and this morning she definitely is. She is going off her food (I'm trying to give her baby food) and also her coordination is worse and she seems generally confused.

I am thinking to monitor her today and possibly take her to be pts tomorrow if she is still getting worse. I don't want her to suffer, but at the same time I want to give the meds enough time to work. I can't face having to have another rat pts, but she is possibly getting to that point.

So my question is really about how long realistically it takes for dexamethosone and carbogoline to work and whether I should be seeing a result by now? Would I be best trying to give it another couple of days, or is it likely that there will be no improvement if I can't see anything by now?

My only previous rat with a PT deteriorated very quickly and so I am worried that the same thing is happening.

Thanks for any advice.

With dexamethasone you should see results pretty immediately, usually within 12 to 24 hours. The carbetgoline can take a week to work.

I hope your little one is doing better.

Thanks for the info :) - my girl has been more active again this afternoon and has been eating some baby food: she seemed quite enthusiastic about the food, which I am hoping may be a good sign. I keep thinking that she seems a little bit better, then she seems to get worse again.

My vet hasn't used cabergoline before and so couldn't give me any info as to when we should see a response. I haven't found much online either, but the little I have found since posting earlier does indicate a few days.

I think that, unless she gets suddenly worse, then I am going to try and persevere for a few days and try to make it to a second cabergoline dose at the weekend. I am due to give prednisolone from Saturday as well and so will try a bit longer and keep my fingers crossed for improvement.

I hope that the meds help her. Since she has been on dex and will be going on pred I assume that she is also on an antibiotic?

With the circling and head tilt, is it possible that she has an inner ear infection? Since she needs to be on an antibiotic, you might see if she could be on clavamox as it is good for inner ear infections http://ratguide.com/health/auricle_ear/otitis_media_otitis_interna_labyrinthitis.php

When I had rats with the type of pt that responds to cabergoline, it took a couple of doses before I noticed an improvement http://ratguide.com/meds/central_nervous_system_drugs/cabergoline.php
http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php

Keep doing what you are doing, helping her to eat and keep her well hydrated ......blocks soaked in cool water to make mush as well as organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal will help her get the nutrition she needs and may be easier to eat then her blocks, as well as other soft, easy to eat foods ...... things such as watermelon will help her to stay hydrated, and make sure she has a water dish that can not be upset as she may not be able to use a water bottle

hope she is soon feeling better

She has been on antibiotics for a few weeks, as she had a mammary tumour removed about six weeks ago and developed a severe respiratory infection afterwards. She was on clavamox and also baytril/doxy for about three weeks and I really thought she wouldn't make it as she was so poorly. I put her back on baytril/doxy when she started with the PT symptoms in case it was an infection.

She has eaten baby food and some scrambled egg tonight, which is her favourite, and so I am really hoping that I can keep her from deteriorating until the meds start to kick in. I do feel reassured that she may need another dose to see an effect, as I have been worrying about her not responding much so far.

Thanks for your help :)

Back