Wonderful world of Meeces

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

So I've been posting all over the place of the mice I have.
To quickly update about 6 weeks ago I had 5 adult feeder females brought in from a feeder breeder who was shut down. There was a single male in the group of girls who was removed when they were found. So needless to say they all went on pregnancy watch. One female was already clearly pregnant and ready to pop.
Momma #1 is Lil Momma, she had 16babies (half boys, half girls) she had 1 lil boy who was verrry tiny and seemed to refuse to grow. We call him Stuart. He is now being cared for by Daisy (Momma #4) and thriving though not growing much. Two lil girls have found homes from this litter who are 5 weeks old (yesterday).
Stuart (top photo) compared to a biological brother(second photo) and his adopted family sibling (bottom photo)
4b4cf61b886a9ecd432fd602ffeee7b5.jpg

601c126f954503a8d5cf01e983100989.jpg

a3b9d63190680dda1bc2a1b16246146e.jpg

Momma #2&3 had 22 babies collectively together.
They are 1.5weeks old (2weeks Saturday)
b975d51a349f7655a7bced45fc97580b.jpg

Momma #4 is named Daisy (Daisy Duke) she had 10 babies and she has her friend I call Nan as she wasn't preggers but helps Daisy nanny her babies.
Daisy
1fd53253b67dc6c3d9f766a35e0e72c7.jpg

Daisy's babes
5f86bd8ea46c459499bf994221689bcf.jpg

Very sweet ! Nice pics !

Good thing mice are so small so housing isn't quite as difficult, given the numbers.
Glad they are all doing well

I'll just be separating the boys eventually that will be the prob. So far the siblings are ok living togethee but that'll be 3 more groups come 2.5 more weeks.

Mice are just sooo cute. I used to have a male named Monkey who I rescued as a 'class pet' gone wrong. He was such a good boy and lived about 1.5 years(with me) and died of natural causes. Great pictures! They are just so sweet looking :heart:

Stuart is the big success. He's so sweet and such a fighter. Its hard to think about his fate as its a very low percentage of 'peanuts' like him surviving past 4 months. Runts are at high risk before 6 months so for a peanut its pretty much set that he'll not live long. But all we can do is give him the best possible chance and thats why he was surrogate by Daisy.
Momma is going to get a break from her girls as soon as the other families are separated (weaned) . The mom's will all be moved back in together (if they are ok with it hah)

I am working on homing the boys first though the girls go faster because they can live in colonies.

I don't want to risk the boys going as feeders but I also cannot keep them all.

So my mouse adventures begin again.
Yesterday I was called to take in 4 baby field mice. They are about 3-5 days old. Still have some scabbing at the umbilical site. They are eating well off the brush (organic soy infant formula).
They are going to the bathroom well. I have one I am so attached to already. Little girl. She is skinny but strong. There is a wee boy I am paying extra attention to....he is so tiny and he doesn't eat as smoothly as the others. He sputters and jumps and is very clumsy. He does eventually get a hold of things and eat but it's a task. They love to snuggle in my hand. They are cool to the touch sometimes so I am working to keep them warm....odd how every other animal is so hot in here and they are chilly babes.
Their story....is that this girl found the nest in a folding table she moved from a farm garage in Mooretown (25 mins from here) to Corunna (15 mins from here...10 from Mooretown)
They do not know if mom was in the nest when they started moving it or if she was away at the time. They were getting skinny and cold so she thought human intervention was best. After seeing them I think it was a close call. They may have had luck taking the nest back to the farm and waiting a day for mom... but they could risk that vital time to thrive with intervention. They are doing quite well. I would like them to gain some more weight. Is there anything I can add to the formula (cereal) to make it heartier?

Here's my feisty girl...right after the brush. She is a hoot!
0b747230fc1a0c5f10b99c686d80ada9.jpg

Sleepy after a full tummy
7ccbedbad36f8ba44ce9bc10e50203b9.jpg

Busy babies
424a1e9f7687c2e5fc40236a7774d1ff.jpg

59ea8d97e7ae364a374d183fcfd3fe5f.jpg

Snuggles
f2de855688cb07ef263313dcd779ad3a.jpg

b77357487ec9faa6f4f53a5523c8af62.jpg

Last edited:
So my mouse adventures begin again.
Yesterday I was called to take in 4 baby field mice. They are about 3-5 days old. Still have some scabbing at the umbilical site. They are eating well off the brush (organic soy infant formula).
They are going to the bathroom well. I have one I am so attached to already. Little girl. She is skinny but strong. There is a wee boy I am paying extra attention to....he is so tiny and he doesn't eat as smoothly as the others. He sputters and jumps and is very clumsy. He does eventually get a hold of things and eat but it's a task. They love to snuggle in my hand. They are cool to the touch sometimes so I am working to keep them warm....odd how every other animal is so hot in here and they are chilly babes.
Their story....is that this girl found the nest in a folding table she moved from a farm garage in Mooretown (25 mins from here) to Corunna (15 mins from here...10 from Mooretown)
They do not know if mom was in the nest when they started moving it or if she was away at the time. They were getting skinny and cold so she thought human intervention was best. After seeing them I think it was a close call. They may have had luck taking the nest back to the farm and waiting a day for mom... but they could risk that vital time to thrive with intervention. They are doing quite well. I would like them to gain some more weight. Is there anything I can add to the formula (cereal) to make it heartier?

What is extremely important here is temperature, in regards to both the babies and the formula. Ensure that the babies are warm and not cool before you begin their feedings. Babies that are too cool/cold do not digest their formula properly and weight loss, lack of weight gain, and in some cases, death is quite common. Also ensure the formula is the correct temperature, as some babies (actually, most babies) are extremely picky and will consume less formula as a result. May I ask for their weights, how much you are feeding, and how often? If they are getting the correct amount of formula, you should not need to add anything for weight gain.

Last edited:
I don't have a digital scale. I have an older pressure scale but they are too small to tip it.
They eat about .01ml each every 5-6 hours. It's just warm to my touch and they seem to take it at that temp best. They are now warm. I have got that under control rotating bean bags. They are looking better than yesterday already.
They aren't as loose skinned as they were, they are attempting to wash their own faces...which is clumsily adorable. I let them sit in the warm bed after eating then wash them up and stimulate them for The bathroom. They are all going pee and poop regularly.
The next 48 hrs is going to be crucial for us. I have permission from my boss to bring them to work so we don't miss a feeding. My bf is going to come help me so that if it's a bit busy they don't have to wait. He just doesn't want to have to make the formula "perfect" and mess up.

Last edited:
Now that we have temperature firgured out we have increased the furosity at which we all eat. I am now able to feed all 4 easily and efficiently. They want to suckle on me. So I prop them all on my hand and make a 'trough' between my pinky and ring finger and slowly syringe formula down the 'trough' they suck away at my skin and eat ..04-.06ml collectively. The wee boy Leo is doing much better. Now that we have him warm he's starting to increase his food want. They have the routine down too so that helps they know food is coming and get excited to eat.

I would pick up a small scale if you are able to for monitoring their weights before every feeding. Recording their weights throughout the day at this age is very important, as you are able to catch things early on and correct them immediately. We have saved many lives over the years just from this alone.

At this age, we usually feed less formula more frequently. It is easier on their tummies and digestive systems and it helps a great deal with weight gains. Unfortunately without their weights, I am unable to calculate the formula intake they will be needing right now for you.

Great to hear you have solved things with the temperatures. Love the pictures, too. They are certainly an adorable little bunch. :)

The only other thing is they seem greasy and crusty from the milk getting on them. What can I use besides Baby wipes to bath them? They need a good cleaning.
They have increased to 3-4 hour increments. They are eating .01+each every chance they get. The smaller boy has now finally got the hang of it. He doesn't seem to sputter as much and he manages to get the syringe better than the brush. All are taking the syringe Now that we have the hang of things

Last edited:
The only other thing is they seem hteaay and crusty from the milk getting on them. What can I use besides Baby wipes to bath them? They need a good cleaning.

We use cotton swabs with warm water for cleaning the babies, although with larger species (e.g., squirrels, raccoons, etc.) I will use a warm cloth. Different formulas will cake on differently. It is always best to wipe up each baby after their feedings before putting them back with their siblings.

I do but I'm am slightly nervous with the pressure I can't put on them and though I think I got them clean they will look wet and be crusty at next feeding
I tried a cotton ball as well it's more how tiny they are and squirmy I can't get certain areas very clean because I am afraid of injuring them.
I have put out a call for a surrogate we'll hope we find one

I do but I'm am slightly nervous with the pressure I can't put on them and though I think I got them clean they will look wet and be crusty at next feeding
I tried a cotton ball as well it's more how tiny they are and squirmy I can't get certain areas very clean because I am afraid of injuring them.
I have put out a call for a surrogate we'll hope we find one

There is a trick to it, that's for sure. The warmer the temperature of the water on the swab, the less pressure you need to use to get the job done (just don't use hot water). I sometimes like to wipe them periodically during their feedings as well rather than exclusively afterwards, especially with formulas that have a high propensity for crusting. Also be sure to dry the babies after they have been wiped up.

A surrogate would definitely be best for these babies. I am more than obliged to help in the meantime. :)

Sadly we didn't make it through night #3...I don't know exactly what took them but they were sleeping and just passed it seems. Too much stress on their little bodies

Sadly we didn't make it through night #3...I don't know exactly what took them but they were sleeping and just passed it seems. Too much stress on their little bodies

I'm sorry to hear that. :( Not enough information unfortunately for me to assess the likely cause of death. Were they given Pedialyte before gradual introduction to formula?

I went with watered down formula for first feedings and literally 5 to 10 drops every hour for the first few, just to get them something. I didn't have Pedialyte and they were so crucially small I didn't want to waste time.

I went with watered down formula for first feedings and literally 5 to 10 drops every hour for the first few, just to get them something. I didn't have Pedialyte and they were so crucially small I didn't want to waste time.

You did what you could for them, and that's all you can do sometimes. Electrolytes are crucial for emaciated babies; I believe that was what happened with them. Very sorry about your little ones. :( Thank you for doing what you could for them.

Back