Successful Rat Spay in Nova Scotia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaitlynnR

I'm looking to get my rats spayed but I've heard the recovery rate is not good, and most rats don't make it out alive. Does anyone know a vet in NS that has a high success rate? I can't stand the thought of sending my babies is when they only have a 50% chance to make it out.

we have had numerous girls spayed and none have died from it. You just need a decent vet that knows what they are doing. That 50% chance of making it is not true at all.

The rate of recovery is actually pretty low in the places I've heard. I'm a vet technician student and the multiple doctors I've spoken to have said that it's not the surgery that has complications, it's waking them up from anesthesia that usually get's them. Though I've assisted in a couple rabbit neuters and so far they've gone well so who knows. Maybe it's just the vet not having enough confidence?

Dr. Beverly Greenlaw at the Oakland Veterinary Clinic has done quite a few spays for me. As far as I know, she has only lost one (not mine). She is my first choice for invasive surgeries as my local vets have had poor results and just not enough experience.
She did mamma, six baby girls and one baby boy for me all in one day. Another group of two baby girls and two baby boys a different time. And one baby boy on his own. They all made it through the surgery fine, with just a couple of post surgical issues.

I can't recommend a vet in NS but my vet here in NB has done many many spays and neuters of rats for me over the last almost 10 years and none have died.
I had an older rescued girl (Elvira) spayed in June and she is doing well. I took another rescued girl (Patty) in to be spayed a little over a week ago and she is also doing well.

All surgery on rats and other small animals is dangerous if the vet doesn't know what they are doing. "waking them up from anesthesia " is a problem if the vet didn't know what they were doing and did not give medications, including the anesthesia correctly.

Here is some info on questions to ask a vet before surgery
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691

My vet is willing to consult with other vets.

The rate of recovery is actually pretty low in the places I've heard. I'm a vet technician student and the multiple doctors I've spoken to have said that it's not the surgery that has complications, it's waking them up from anesthesia that usually get's them. Though I've assisted in a couple rabbit neuters and so far they've gone well so who knows. Maybe it's just the vet not having enough confidence?

Usually they use iso gas and an injectable med. The injectable med is the one that causes problems. We had a loss 2 years ago and I put an end to the injectable meds and went to maintaining their pain after rather than dealing with meds like buprenorphine. It is hard to wake them with those meds I think it is how much they use and how they use it. I havent had an issues since we went to just the gas and other methods of controlling pain such as metacam or tramadol

Back