Kitchener ON - Dr Shannon Gowland - Mitchell Animal Hospital

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jillybean

Dr Gowland is a new vet at the Mitchell Animal Hospital in Kitchener http://www.mahonline.com

She has some expertise in small mammals (much more than the other staff here).

I've only seen her once (I went to see her a few weeks ago when Maxie was terribly ill with an infection), but I was really impressed. She spent a lot of time examining Max (full work up, weight, teeth, abdominal, pulminary, etc), and all in all spent almost an hour with us. She also called to follow-up a few days later rather than having the receptionist do it.

Also, Gerald Gyorffy there is absolutely fantastic. ALL of the staff there seem to love rats, actually.

Gerald did the eye removal surgery on my female, Jenka, and has taken excellent care of her during the last few weeks as we are dealing with her tumour.

My best friend used to work there before leaving for health reasons. Wonderful people there, if I hadn't moved so far away I would be taking my whole crew there.

I used to work there and this is where all my ratties go!!

But word to the wise try to stay clear of Dr. Kevin Wadall(sp?), he's a great guy and all but he has a lot to learn :?

sausage4ever said:
But word to the wise try to stay clear of Dr. Kevin Wadall(sp?), he's a great guy and all but he has a lot to learn :?
Nice Dee, its very hard to find a good exotic/small animal vet, so a simple honest post like this can go a long way. :thumbup:

sausage4ever said:

Re: Kevin - is he lacking in rat knowledge, specifically, or all animals??

Um, I think all animals he told me my cats had stomatitis, and we tested them for FIV/FeLV.

But I had been to the vet (still at Mitchell; I had seen Dr. Rachel) two weeks before and they had said my kitties had mild gingivitis. So you can understand my shock when I was told my cats may have stomatitis, and I was freaking out for a good few months until I realized that it was only Dr. Kevin's diagnosis I was going on...so I calmed down.

We also had a problem with him when I had Nanuk. Nanny needed tooth trim every few weeks and everytime Dr. Kevin did it he'd accidentally cut Nanuk's gums, but this was a few years ago and we had just got the new dentistry machine so I imagine this would no longer be a problem.

dr. Gerald recently saw my "sunday" and diagnosed her with mites and gave me the most cost effective treatment. he did a thorough examination and even let me listen to her heart. he was great!

krobinson said:
dr. Gerald recently saw my "sunday" and diagnosed her with mites and gave me the most cost effective treatment. he did a thorough examination and even let me listen to her heart. he was great!

Dr. G is an amazing vet :)
He is one of the few that look out for the animal instead of caring more about money and where charges can be added.

I highly recommend him to anyone in the Kitchener (and surrounding) area.

Just in case anyone was interested, Dr. Gowland is at OVC's Smith Lane Animal Hospital in Guelph now. I don't have the time to drive out to Kitchener for all the rattie issues these days, so I take my rat to see her.

Megan, do you know if Dr. Gowland does rat neuters? I called just now and she is away until next week.

Dr. Gowland is in Guelph at OVC. Is Dr Gerald here or in Kitchener? I guess I could travel to Kitchener if need be.

I'd personally go to Dr. Gerald in Kitchener for a neuter. Dr. Gowland is awesome but the clinic is student run and veterinarian supervised, and most of the students don't have much rodent surgical experience. The vet is right there during the surgery and helps and stuff, but still. Rodent surgeries can be tricky, mostly due to anesthesia, and Dr. Gerald has a lot of experience and is a wonderful surgeon.

Thanks, Megan. Dr Gowland advised she can't do rat surgeries because she hasn't got small enough equipment or the appropriate anesthetic. I admit I was quite surprised by this answer.

Back