difference in prices, Halifax (Fairview/Clayton Park)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lap rats

I recently resolved to bring my rats for vet check-ups more often, not just when something is wrong. Plus, i wanted to compile a list of vets and prices in my area, mostly in case of an emergency if my usual vet was off, then i wouldn't be scrambling and calling around then.
I don't always have access to a car, so in an emergency i might have to take the bus. So i'm focusing on the 3 closest to my home. Although for check-ups, i can schedule around when i have a vehicle, so it can be farther.

My regular vet is Dr. Carnegy.
An exam is 52$(+tax) for 20 min. I can usually bring in a few rats in this time. A longer time slot is 70$.
A neuter is 60$ i think, and a spay 110$.
A euthanasia, where i can be present, is 15$.
These are by far the best prices. But more importantly, he really seems to care for my animals, and i never feel rushed.
Some people might think the low prices are a bad sign, but i really just think he knows how expensive some vets can be, and that some very good pet owners just can't physically afford those places, but that it doesn't mean they're bad owners, so he wants to help those people out and make it possible for them to get health care for their animals.

Once, Dr Carnegy wasn't in, and i had to rush one of my rats to my second choice.
The second vet closest to me is Dr. Farrow at Clayton Park vet clinic.
I've heard he is a great exotics vet, and he seems to really know his stuff. I felt comfortable there.
An exam is 72$.
I forgot to ask about spays and neuters. I will find out and edit.
A euthanasia is 30$. However, i used to be able to be present, but with their new policy about clients around the gas, i can't anymore (unless i wanted the needle in the stomach!). Disappointing. But i think i trust them.
A few days ago, i called to see how much it would be to bring my 6 rats in for check-ups, out of curiosity. The receptionist said they don't do multiple pet deals, so it would be 72$ PER rat. She would be booking 2 hours, since the exams are very thorough. She felt bad, talked to the vet, and offered 20% discount, which was still 400$! (I don't know if that included tax or not.) Poor thing, she started saying maybe i could bring in just sick rats, then realized how that sounded. People bring in cats and dogs for yearly check-ups all the time, why shouldn't i with my rats. She really sympathized and knew how sad this situation was. So needless to say, i wouldn't mind bringing in one rat again in a pinch or for a second opinion, i did like Dr. Farrow, but i don't think i can do 400$ for the 6 rats, especially where Carnegy would only be 70$ for the 6.
Then i started doubting again, should i just wait till they are actually sick to bring them in?

The third vet, just a ways away, is Dr. Dibblee at Fairvew Animal Hospital.
Their exam is 85$. (I don't know if that's multi-pet.)
A rat neuter is 335$! I heard some vets put a high price because they rather not do them. I wonder, at that price, how many people have had it done, therefore, how much experience she's had.
After that, i forgot to ask about euthanasia. I should call back. Can't have too many back-ups.

Now, a vet a little farther from where i live also has better prices. Though i have no idea what the doctor is like.
Dr. Slaunwhite at Companion Animal Hospital in Dartmouth.
An exam is 63$. (Don't know if that's mulit-pet.)
A neuter is 120$. Not bad. Twice as much as Carnegy, but certainly no 335$!
I didn't ask about euthanasia because i doubt i would be travelling that distance with a rat in distress. But i guess i should've.

Another one i called was the Metro Emergency Clinic, for after-hours/nights/weekends. I think i remember that a rat euthanasia was 60$.

Anyway, just thought i'd share my findings.

So am i crazy or is 400$ to check-up 6 rats alot? Maybe not. Am i just cheap? Maybe i've been spoiled at Carnegy's.

Back