Gatineau (near Ottawa) - Hôpital Vétérinaire Taché

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKEM

Hôpital Vétérinaire Tâché
345 boul. Taché
Gatineau (secteur Hull), (QC)
J9A 1M3

For those in Ottawa, it's only a 5 minutes drives from the Portage bridge. Dr. Chouinard is what I use as my standard when I see a vet examine my rats. She doesn't care if they climb all over her, chew her stethoscope for 2 minutes, etc. She sees a lot of exotics and in the area, she is the one where I have found that they have the best medications (in terms of concentrations). Want 50mg/ml that Baytril that tastes like banana and that has rats chewing the syringe for it ... go there. She can also tell you exactly what each medicine tastes like ... which probably accounts for why they have the best suspensions there :lol:

She is also a great surgeon. She has done neuters and other operations on my rats and each time it healed super well and I was especially amazed at the neuters. One single external stitch in a place where the rats couldn't chew ... pretty clever.

She knows a lot about small exotics and is willing to keep trying and looking for more solutions and getting information. One of my boys, Moriarty would not be alive were it not for her looking for alternatives when complication after complication happened. I'll also note that when a surgery led to complications, all the subsequent visits were free of charge. Their prices are also very affordable compared to other clinics in Ottawa.

The only downside is that she is busy (probably because she's so good) so getting an emergency visit can be tricky. But other than that, I have never had a bad experience there.

Back