Rat choking

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntaku

So my rat was running around my room about an hour ago. He climbed up on my leg and started chewing on my shirt, then chewing on my jeans, and so on. So I put him in his cage. A few minutes later I started to hear a weird noise. So I turned around and saw my rat making a gagging motion in his cage. He is also foaming at the mouth. I googled it and I think he's choking. There's one thing that is really worrying me though. A little bit of the foam is coming out of his nose. I haven't seen anyone talk about this online. Is this normal when choking or should I be even more worried? I can't get him to the vet. Both the vet and the animal hospital are closed. Please help :(

He's stopped gagging, and foaming at the mouth. Now he's being really lethargic. He's making a wheezing noise when he breathes. I'm really worried he won't be alive when I get up in the morning.

They often take a while to recover. Did you see him get anything up? It definitely sounds like he was choking but if whatever it was is still in there it might be obstructing his airway and needs help getting it out asap.

Back