Post-operative knot?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawntheSnipe

Has anyone ever had their rat develop a hard knot in the area of a surgical incision?

My old girl Annie had a mammary tumor removed from her chest in April, and by all appearances was healing normally. However, a couple of days ago, I noticed there was what looked like a lump under the skin that's still bare from the surgical prep. I was expecting to feel a soft lump, as it looked like the tumor was growing back, but the lump is actually hard. It feels more like cartilage or bone. The surrounding skin is pink and healthy-looking. I will try to take a picture tomorrow.

I haven't examined her thoroughly, as she doesn't like being felt all over and I'm afraid to push on an area that may still be tender. I plan on taking her the the vet, but I wanted to know if anyone else might know what this is.

Thank you all in advance!

She's 26 months. I first noticed the tumor in December or January. The original tumor was soft, like the mammary tumors my other rats have had...

She's 26 months. I first noticed the tumor in December or January. The original tumor was soft, like the mammary tumors my other rats have had...

So it took 6 months before you felt you had to take it off, at least she's got all that time IF its regrowing before it becomes a problem again. It may even grow more slowly since she's older.

I'm still going to hope its an abscess.

Just an update--one of the two tumors grew markedly over the past month, so this past Thursday, Annie had surgery to remove it. She seems to be healing well, and we are hoping she doesn't have a recurrence. I have some maitake extract on hand now, so I'll try that again if she does.

Thanks for your help!

Sad news in another update... At Annie's post-operative check-up two weeks ago, the vet found another small lump in the same area. I left to go on a mission; my husband told me that it was growing quickly last Friday, as we were getting ready to come home. When I got in last night, I found that it had grown to larger than gumball-sized. It's affecting her walking, and she can't get her right hand to her mouth for eating or grooming.

It's obviously bothering my poor baby a lot--it's scabbed over from her frequently scratching it. I am taking her to the vet this afternoon to see if there's anything we can do for her, but I fear there's nothing left to be done.

Thank you, everyone. My hopes were in vain. There was nothing to be done that wouldn't have prolonged her suffering.

Our vet let us stay by her side while they gave her gas and the final injection. I hope that gave her some comfort.

Back