How Much Stuff Should Be In A Cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastelRat

I'm considering adopting rats and plan on keeping them in a single unit CN. Although I still have a question I haven't found answer to- how much stuff should be in their cage? I know the basics, but for example how many hammocks/igloos or hides/chews?

I think it's personal preference, yours as well as the rats,
and also depends on the size of the rats
you can get more stuff in a cage with baby rats, once they are bigger, they may need some stuff removed to make room for their bigger bodies to get around

some rats adore their hammocks and want as many as you can cram in there, others, like the girls I have now, dont' seem to care for htem that much (i'm shocked to be honest) They prefer things on the floor and shelves more than hanging stuff

watch your rats and see what they like and what they use and then adjust the cage according to that.

I think it's personal preference, yours as well as the rats,
and also depends on the size of the rats
you can get more stuff in a cage with baby rats, once they are bigger, they may need some stuff removed to make room for their bigger bodies to get around

some rats adore their hammocks and want as many as you can cram in there, others, like the girls I have now, dont' seem to care for htem that much (i'm shocked to be honest) They prefer things on the floor and shelves more than hanging stuff

watch your rats and see what they like and what they use and then adjust the cage according to that.

For females, would 2 or 3 hammocks be ok?

For females, would 2 or 3 hammocks be ok?

yes 2 or 3 at one time would be ok, and you would want other things as well such as 1 or 2 hanging tubes, 3 litter boxes, chew toys (such as a chew log), perhaps a space pod, 1 or 2 water dishes& 1 or 2 water bottles, 12 inch diameter solid wheel and other things to explore etc such as boxes etc

Back