Is my rat pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's definitely something going on if it's not pregnancy. That's not a normal belly. Hope you guys can get into the good vet! Let us know how it goes!

I have some boys that look prego when they stand that way. Looks like Snow is not gonna be a momma after all and was just a very hungry girl.

Hehe. OK!

Those who said she looked pregnant were correct...But you were also wrong.

It was a false pregnancy!

She had a complete physical exam and an ultrasound and everything was normal. No tumors, no megacolon. Nothing abnormal. The doctor did agree that she looked pregnant and that was his first guess. He was actually so curious and interested that he didn't charge us for the ultrasound. He simply "Had to know". He was awesome with her! We definitely got good information from him and that is why he is our main rattie doctor! :)

Wow what an awesome vet! And a false pregnancy.. wow! That's great that she's not actually going to deliver any babies, with there already being so many out in the world.

Does anyone know anything about how this happens? I'm curious now haha. And will she just go back to normal after a while?

Again, thank you to all who helped us in our journey with Snow. We are all very happy that she is going to be okay. The vet was fantastic with her. He took his time with her and answered all our questions. He was very impressed with our growth chart so thank you to all who suggested we track her weight. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future since it contains so much information. Who knew that a rat could have a false pregnancy? ! Oh, and by the way, the doctor sounded a bit dissapointed that there were no babies. He loves ratties!

Wow what an awesome vet! And a false pregnancy.. wow! That's great that she's not actually going to deliver any babies, with there already being so many out in the world.

Does anyone know anything about how this happens? I'm curious now haha. And will she just go back to normal after a while?

He wants us to keep track of her weight and is confident that she might continue to gain weight for another week and then stop gaining. He will call us in a week for an update. His first reaction was "this rat is pregnant" lol.

Wonderful news! A clean bill of health and no babies.
I've only ever heard of a false pregnancy in rats one other time. That's why it's important to assume "the worst".
You guys are awesome for facing it head on and being prepared to do what's best for her so kudos. :3
Snowflakes would have been cute but snow is cute enough on her own. ;)

I am so happy no babies for your precious girl and no sickness either! I never in a million years would have thought fake pregnancy haha but now she can go be with her friends in that nice DCN you got them :) I am sure she is stoked to be back with all her friends.

Wonderful news!!
You have given me some hope as I rescued a girl who was used as a feeder breeder and I am afraid she might be pregnant as she too is gaining weight, most of it on her abdomen ....

Last edited:
Wonderful news!!
You have given me some hope as I rescued a girl who was used as a feeder breeder and I am afraid she might be pregnant as she too is gaining weight, most of it on ]her abdomen ....
Tabitha had me fooled - same situation. Big belly but no babies. It was just starvation and probably a pot belly from having babies before. Fingers crossed!

I'm glad there are no snowflakes in your future! :D

Back