elderly rat sleeping on floor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anain

Hi everyone,

one of my babies is over 2 years already. She suffered from a stroke a while ago and is easily stressed or confused. She does not want to come out of the cage. That is why I leave her in the cage and try to pet her and talk to her while sitting behind the bars. This she loves and until recently she seemed happy in her quiet place. She can still get around well enough in the familiar environment, but climbing has become difficult. I made her all kinds of hidey places on the floor, but for some reason she does not want to use them anymore. She pushes them away and just lays down in a corner or snuggled against one of the hiding boxes. There is plenty of soft nesting material in the boxes, but that does not interest her. It is not hot inside the house and the others mostly leave her alone. Her sister sometimes keeps her company, but most of the time she sleeps alone. She still eats and drinks, but for the rest only takes short walks and then sleeps again. My big worry is that she is suffering or being lonely. Is there any way to tell? I want what is best for her and this just makes me very sad.

It's hard to know if they are suffering without obvious signs. As for loneliness, she still has her buddies in the same cage so she can still hear them and is still part of the colony and that's a good thing. It sounds like you have it all covered to keep her comfortable. That's what I would be doing too.

Back