Farewell to Rhonda: May 4, 2005 to August 30, 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I am on vacation. This morning I received a phone call to let me know that Rhonda was suddenly not doing well. She'd stopped taking meds after having her Lasix last night, had stopped eating, had refused treats.

This morning she would still not eat or take meds, even with cuddles and persuasion. She lay on her side, not moving much, after she was back in the cage. The others groomed her, then resumed their activities. I called for a vet appointment and SQ was going to take her but, ten minutes, later Rhonda had passed away. She did not appear to be suffering; thank heavens she was not gasping for breath.

I've been tearful all day, drove back from my holiday spot for the day even though it's too late for Rhonda. Just need to cuddle my other girls today, instead of waiting another week.

I am fortunate to have a wonderful rat-sitter who really cared about Rhonda and gave her comfort during her last day of life. Wished I could have been with Rhonda, but couldn't take the risk of having my rats in a location so many hours from a vet.

Rest in peace and run free at the Bridge, dear Rhonda.

When I get back permanently I will post photos and a tribute to Rhonda, who was a sweet girl. Her sister Edith will miss her.

Last evening I spent some time with SQ reminiscing about Rhonda and other dear ratties at the Bridge. She gave me a wonderful CD of photos of Rhonda and Edith when they were very young! I will post a couple here:

Rhonda was one of the Hampton rescue ratties. A young woman bought two female rats from a pet store and, presto!, she soon had 24 babies as well. The two litters probably had the same daddy, given the resemblance.

Here's a baby photo of Rhonda and her sisters. She's on the right, Edith is second from the left:
snickettsbabiesday9-001girls.jpg

All of the Hampton ratties found homes, thanks to Raven's and SQ's efforts. Five girls, including Rhonda, went to a Montreal rescue and then to a foster home. The foster home didn't work out, and when the rescue removed them from that home Rhonda and Edith came back to NB to be with me.

This is Rhonda before she went to Montreal.
2Hamptongirls2.gif

Here's Rhonda en route back to NB via the SQ express:

TravelingtoMontrealAug2005.jpg

Here she is with Edith on their second birthday in May.

RhondaEdithsecondbirthdaypeas.jpg

She soon started failing, spent the last couple of months on lots of heart meds, and was holding her own until the other night.

I will always remember dear Rhonda!

I'm so sorry. It's a crappy day for losing special girls.Was your Rhonda with you all her life? Is so I guess it's hard to feel sorry for her livijng a decently long life in a great environment, but for you my heart aches.

:cry:

Rhonda :heart: was such a dear girl ...
I was so happy that I was able to bring her and Edith home in April 2006.
Thank you godmother for giving Rhonda :heart: such a wonderful life.

Dec31FirstChristmas04240X229.jpg
Dec31dinnerforall.jpg

Rhonda :heart: and friends at my place last Christmas

Nov15Rhonda.jpg

........ Rhonda :heart: peeking out

How is Edith doing without her beloved sister? Rhonda was the sweet one of the pair. I am soo sorry that she left you. She made it a long long time with you and your wonderful love and care. From what I understand Edith at just 2 is the longest survivor of the Hampton Rescue Rats. You must be doing something right! ((hugs))

Edith seems to be doing OK. I got back from holidays and brought the remaining girls home today. They're adjusting OK, with a little help from a plate of peas and (no-salt-added) salmon.

It feels so strange without her here. I have a couple of the old bones she loved to chew on, so I put those in the clean cage for the others. I've been feeling tearful all over again. It will take me a while to get over the guilt about not being with her at the end.

Tonight I was looking at all my Rhonda photos, and I found one of her on her first birthday, not long after I adopted her, approaching her birthday treat (low-fat pudding, as recommended by Jorats as a birthday treat, and a banana chunk of course!):

Rhondafirstbirthdaytreatresized.jpg

Rhonda looked so sweet and lady like just before she devoured her birthday treat. :love5:
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is hard, isn't it, when your beloved decides to pass on when you're away. But at least you know Rhonda had a great life with you! :hugs:

Thanks, everyone. It's starting to get easier.

We buried Rhonda in a nice part of the back yard on Sunday. My husband put a rock to mark the head of her grave, and I planted a Monkshood and scattered some Columbine seeds. There are birch trees right behind, and there will be room for the others when the time comes.

The people who were taking care of Rhonda made her a nice little pine box to be buried in, with a poem "Ode to a Rat" to enclose. I wrapped her in a bright pink blanket and put the poem with her in the coffin.

Shelagh, you had asked about Edith
How is Edith doing without her beloved sister?

I noticed that Edith barbered herself on both forearms for a week or so after we got home. She also has some lung sounds (myco, probably), so I have her on Baytril/Doxy. Otherwise she is doing well. She is still feisty and energetic.

Back