Rest of the family

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessa

Horatio and Anastasia
HoratioAnastasia.jpg

Evelyn - Grammostola rosea
evelyn4.jpg

Chloe - Brachypelma albopilosum
chloe1.jpg

Scirocco - Grammostola pulchra
scirocco5.jpg

Beautiful kitties!! I do adore grey kitties, and I have a black boy myself. :D

Scirocco is very shiny! :shock: I had no idea there were different colors of tarantulas. They are very neat looking! :D

Ashley said:
I have to ask... do the tarantulas let you hold them? Or are they like some reptiles... look but don't touch?

I don't handle them because they don't like it. Plus, they are extremely delicate and if they were to bolt they could be injured or killed easily in a fall. They also have irrticating hairs on them that can cause discomfort if you get them embedded in your skin. Yes, I have handled them in the past, but they are 'look but don't touch'.
Those three species are beginners species, and do not show any defensive (I hate using the word aggressive with them because they aren't aggressive) behaviour at all. Scirocco is sometimes referred to as the 'labrador retriever of the spider world' she is so docile.
I just basically let them be and enjoy looking at them.
:)

jorats said:
Beautiful kitties and the spider, are tarantulas considered spiders? Hey, at least they are furry. :winksmile:

Yes, they are spiders, they are one of the oldest species of spider and haven't changed in millions of years. They are very 'primative'. There are over 800 distinct species of tarantulas in the world, only about 200 of those are seen in the pet trade.
Chloe's species is listed on CITES as close to endangered because of wild spiders being taken for the pet trade. Like other exotics, most die in the capture and in transit.
It is such a shame too, because unlike a lot of other tarantula species, Chloe's species is extremely easy to breed in captivity. There is really no reason to take them directly from the wild.

Vanessa said:
Ashley said:
I don't handle them because they don't like it. Plus, they are extremely delicate and if they were to bolt they could be injured or killed easily in a fall. They also have irrticating hairs on them that can cause discomfort if you get them embedded in your skin. Yes, I have handled them in the past, but they are 'look but don't touch'.
Those three species are beginners species, and do not show any defensive (I hate using the word aggressive with them because they aren't aggressive) behaviour at all. Scirocco is sometimes referred to as the 'labrador retriever of the spider world' she is so docile.
I just basically let them be and enjoy looking at them.
:)

so very interesting. I find tarantulas fascinating. What do they eat? What kind of environment do they live in?

Back