Harlan Teklad question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

I wanted to ask how long one would consider feeding the 2018-- the baby formula of HT-- to rats. What's the 'cut off' age? I've come to realize that with 33lbs of the stuff, I have way too much! I would assume something like 8 months, right? Will it hurt Rose and Guild (who're about 9 and 8 months respectively) if I were to feed them the 2018 until it was gone?

I believe that many people feed the 2018 to their rats all their lives. If you supplement each day with fresh veggies, it does bring down the protein %.

I agree, it won't hurt them at all. There have been many people that have fed (including myself) 20 - 24% protein diets for years. I am currently feeding 2018 now.

But, it is good to remember that the nutrient value of the food starts decreasing 6 months after the milling date, unless you store the food in the freezer.

I've re-packaged the 2018 in freezer bags, which are currently stored. I'm only taking out one bag at a time, which I assume would last a few weeks.

I'm glad to know that it won't hurt them. ^_^; I should have thought of that before ordering so much though.

Back