Rat in need - hoping to make my first rescue

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

http://racine.craigslist.org/for/4298445752.html

I found this on craigslist - knowing I shouldn't even look on craigslist. Not too far from me hour or two. Anyone she actually has two ad up for him so I emailled both address about him the other day and finally got a response yesterday.

This is the response I got: I did respond back. Of course I hope to get him since I'm betting he isn't aggressive, but I haven't told the hubby either. He'll hopefully just come home to see a new face....

Sorry for a delayed response, i haven't been able to check my email in a few days.

Yes, i do still have him. He does draw blood when he bites, however we don't think it's hormones. We think it's just how he was raised, as these were my first boys and i didn't realize they needed so much time out of cage each day and i unintentionally neglected him. My fiance would play with him more often than I, and so clark is much calmer around him whereas with me he'll bite at me (little test nibbles, really) to see if i'll let him. When i try to reprimand him by pinning or booping his nose, he'll get more upset and bite harder. He usually leaves scratches with his teeth and claws, sometimes peels the skin enough to see the blood underneath but it doesn't actually leak out, and a few times he's bit and held on and made me actually bleed. Once, it was a serious bleed that needed more than just a band aid and neosporin. The scar is still there, about a centimeter and a half.

If you think he's someone you can handle and show love to, i'd like to know your experience with bitey rats. Also, how many you have now and what their genders are. I can't afford a neuter as i'm going to be losing my job soon because of something i have no control over and i'm already attending college and
having financial issues.

download

Last edited:
Go for the neuter first and if your boys are still temper-mental dont put him in your rat room right off the bat because new rat smells can make for a long day of fighting with new ones. If he is in fact a biter get a cage that has either a large door or a top that comes off. do not try to feed him through the bars. Remy almost broke his teeth in a fit of rage because i tried to feed him a treat through the bars and he pulled and pulled.

Go for the neuter first and if your boys are still temper-mental dont put him in your rat room right off the bat because new rat smells can make for a long day of fighting with new ones. If he is in fact a biter get a cage that has either a large door or a top that comes off. do not try to feed him through the bars. Remy almost broke his teeth in a fit of rage because i tried to feed him a treat through the bars and he pulled and pulled.

My boys are getting the snip snip on Wednesday. I don't feed through the bars. He doesn't sound like a "biter" just an unhappy boy who is ignored. He has a brother too.

If he is drawing blood he is a biter. other rat smell can trigger him as it did remy. They could hold remy at his house he only bit sometimes but being in a rat room with other smells he went bonkers. Their descriptions are that of a biter boy. You have had mean boys but not a crazy boy so just be careful. The things she describes wont just go away and has nothing to do with being raised unless she beat him it is hormones not because they neglected him. They always blame other things other than the testicles LOL. if he is latching on, get a glove no bare hands for that boy.

Well, it sounds like he needs an experienced home. If you feel up for a potential challenge, go for it! Good luck - I have never had a biter...

So dispute you guys being a bit discouraging .... I'm picking up Clark tomorrow. The fiance was alittle reluctant to let him go cause they have bonded, but she wants him to have a happy life with friends. She also wants updates which is no problem. I am going to keep his name Clark cause I'm hoping that like "Clark Kent" underneath he will be a Super Rat! Hubby knows and is alright with the new addition.

For all I know, if it really isn't hormones driven, being with an experienced mom and dad could make a difference. As she said, he is much more relaxed around his fiance as he did spend more time with him. Just give him space and time to adjust, and I have a feeling he'll turn out to be a good boy.

If it is hormones driven, then you know exactly what you have to do!

Can't wait to see picture of your new boys!!!!

We're only getting Clark she is keeping his brother. Clark will actually be one next month so he's not 9 months old. Hubby is pretty upset his brother is living alone, but she says he is happy and well adjusted. Clark will be told the rules - behave or snip snip

So dispute you guys being a bit discouraging .... I'm picking up Clark tomorrow. The fiance was alittle reluctant to let him go cause they have bonded, but she wants him to have a happy life with friends. She also wants updates which is no problem. I am going to keep his name Clark cause I'm hoping that like "Clark Kent" underneath he will be a Super Rat! Hubby knows and is alright with the new addition.

Not discouraging but you are not as used to rats as we are. Your boys already have fighting problems and new rats can be triggers. He has bitten and drew blood so that can trigger him to be a frenzy nut job as well. Most of the time when they say they are biter they are not really biters but when they say they draw blood, they bite. It was warnings for you. :) and sniping has a chance to not work as well so you have to keep that in mind. He may live alone or I have some pretty little spayed girls here he might likd :laugh4:

Well, I went and got Clark today - it was bitter sweet after last night even thought this was planned days ago. I've invited his first mommy to join the shack to keep track of him. I will give him his own thread.

Back