Please help.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sushirocket

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/29/
vaba4umy.jpg

My oldest rat has a hole in his hind leg, and jis personality changed from being independent and un-cuddly to always wanting to be on me.. siince ive noticed the hole.

Does anyone know what this is or how to treat it at home? I dont have money for vet bills at all.

u8etasuz.jpg

Oh wow. The personality change could be from old age or just getting more used to you. However, that hole looks worrisome. It could potentially be an abscess, or a ruptured tumor even.

Does it ooze or bleed? Does it smell bad? Is it causing him pain(I would say most likely yes)?

No, he doesnt seem to be in pain and it doesnt smell or bleed. Im just worried for my bestfriend! Hes been there for me through everything.

That looks like a nasty cyst to me. My boy DJ had one up near his hip where boys generally get those it looked a lot like that. When you look inside does it look like a hard substance? Does it feel round in shape as far as the lump itself and hard as a rock? I messed with Dj's and boy did I make it angry so I wouldnt mess with it much.

looks like a cyst to me too, Dre had one that opened up and I would try to flush it out but much of the crap inside it was dry and stuck in there pretty good
eventually he cleaned it up pretty good himself, it got smaller and disappeared. took a fairly long time, like weeks, but it did go away completely

just keep checking to make sure there's no bad smell that would indicate an infection

If it's a cyst or a lump whatever you do, DO NOT puncture it, as you can cause more damage. If it's going to drain it will do so on it's own, and if it does, then just keep the area clean as the wound heals.

Thank you all! I freaked, and thought he was going to die soon because he is a year and a half. Especially with his personality change. I dont mess with it at all, im afraid i'd hurt the poor boy.

Back