VAGINA BLEEDING - help. :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey guys-
I just noticed my rat's vagina is bleeding. I'm trying to see if I could get her an appointment at the vet by tomorrow. Until then....do you have any suggestions on what I should do? Should I put something on it temporarily? I hear honey is a natural remedy for infections, etc....

Also, anybody experience this before?

Last question, do I need to keep my rattie separate from the other rats? She seems okay right now....but I wasn't sure if she needs to be away from the others.

thanks so much-
M.

You shouldn't separate her and I don't think putting honey on it would be good. That's moreso feeding a small amount of raw honey that -might- help with infection prevention.
Is it a lot of blood? Is it a possible injury?

I have no experience otherwise.. keep her warm and comfy, hydrated and fed. I hope the vet goes well and she's better soon !

@velo Thank you so much. Well...it's not a LOT of blood...but I definitely found out about it because she left a blood spot on the towel. :( She is sleeping now on her back, so I was able to look at it closely. It doesn't look like an injury...I think it's coming from inside. Here is a photo of it. Poor baby!

Sorry.....if it's yucky.

Ella V.jpg

It may be an infection or something even more serious - she will likely need antibiotics and may need surgery
definitely a vet visit asap

Any possibility of pregnancy because if so something may have gone wrong ... like a miscarriage or internal bleeding

If too much bleeding occurs she could go into shock and die so she definitely needs to see a vet soon

Edit:
It could be any of these:

Urinary Bleeding/Discharge/Odor/Volume

• Bacterial infection
  • Bladder stones
  • Neoplasia
  • Diabetes (increased amount of urine)
  • Renal disease (increased amount of urine)
Vaginal discharge

• Pyometra (e.g., bacterial infection)
  • Neoplasia (e.g., uterine / ovarian tumors)
  • Dystocia (e.g., ineffective uterine contractions in birthing; a labor emergency!)

taken from : http://ratguide.com/health/basics/clinical_signs_symptoms_guide.php

Last edited:
I know this sounds weird, but does it smell bad? A possible cause is pyometra, an infection in the uterus, which can lead to sepsis (blood poisoning) which can be fatal if not treated.

There's generally 2 causes with vaginal bleeding and the first one to rule out, if its just straight blood and not infected discharge is genital myco. These outbreaks will cause vaginal bleeding, so most vets prescribe an antibiotic for a week to see if it clears up, indicating it was just the myco. Baytril is a good one for this.

The next and more serious issues are uterine infection, polyps or masses internally and these might need an emergency spay to fix.

Thanks for the info @SQ ! I will definitely look into all the info you gave me. Very helpful breakdown. :)

And no.....she isn't preggers. She hasn't had a boyfriend for a while. ;)

hi @Joanne

It has a SLIGHT odor....but nothing too crazy. I was thinking the same thing about an infection.....

I also checked for pus...but so far, it looks like pure blood.

:(

@lilspaz68

Hiya! So I have her on antibiotics right now. The vet also gave her xrays and will have her radiologist take a good look at them. We didn't see any excess fluid in the abdomen...but she will be looking for any obtrusions, tumors, or anything that looks suspect.

I will keep you guys updated on this! Thanks so much! I hope the meds work, the bleeding stops soon and everything clears up!

Fingers crossed.

By the way, sweet Ella gets a gold star today. She didn't move during the examination and didn't even squeak! She was very sweet and cooperative. Ella is MUCH better than me at the doc office! ;)

Thanks again-
M.

Hey guys!
Just to give you an update.

I put her on a mix of baytril/doxy as well as amox.

Knock on wood....it looks like she is getting better! :D This morning her privates had less blood and she was lying on her back chomping on food. :D Funny girl.

Hopefully she keeps getting better. Thank you guys again for all of your help!

This forum is lovely.

-M.:heart::heart::heart:

Back