Hardware Net

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Today, I decided to check out the Home Depot and I came across this stuff and I thought, maybe it would work for modifying the FN. It's hardware net, it's made from a durable plastic, won't corrode or rust. The only problem, will the rats chew through it? I'll be putting it on the outside of the FN... It might work.

Hardarenet.jpg

Hardwarenetupclose.jpg

Well, some people have used screen, which COULD easily be chewed also, right? I was looking at that myself, but I have not yet made a decision which route to go with. Mike is voting for just the galvanized hardware mesh. I don't see the girls chewing on their bars so I'm hoping he's right and they wont sample at it too much....

Moon, I used screening when Shel's boys were still very small. Yep, they chewed it and made big holes, they also were able to remove small pieces of it. I would find it all over the cage which really worried me. I hope that this plastic is very strong and maybe it being on the outside of the cage may not encourage chewing. But if it fails, then I'll no choice but to go with that mesh, or I'll do what Melissa did to hers.
I'll keep you all posted.

I think it would depend on the rat and how determined to chew they are.... the same way some rats can live in a cage with a plastic pan for years and never bother it, and some determined ratties destroy every plastic panned cage thrown at them. :lol:

You're quite right Lise. So far, when I put up the screening, a couple of the girls chewed holes in it but never realized that this gave them an opportunity to escape, just to have a good ol' chewing time.

The reason I'll be putting up some modding to the cage is because in about a month, I want to add Melissa's two baby boys in the cage, they will be about 2 months old. Hopefully at that age, they won't "want" to come out, but instead enjoy the new big cage and the new buddies.

Hey that's the same stuff I bought at Home Depot the other day :shock: OOPS I thought I mentioned it but guess it was a different list :oops:
I am still waiting for my FN to get here so I will be interested to see how you like it and what you attach it with.

i have tried it when i only had my first two boys, i made a cube cage and put the plastic mesh on the outside, still, they chewed out in less than 2 weeks, with more little minds at work who knows how fast your guys will figure it out.

So I'll be real curious to know how the kids do with it????

I hate that metal hardware cloth, it's like a germ germintor.Why can't they make it of the non-destructive stuff they make chain-link fences of?

Anyway, I sure want to know if the kids will leave that stuff alone.

Fidget said:
So I'll be real curious to know how the kids do with it????

I hate that metal hardware cloth, it's like a germ germintor.Why can't they make it of the non-destructive stuff they make chain-link fences of?

Anyway, I sure want to know if the kids will leave that stuff alone.

Not only that but the metal hardware cloth is soooo not fun to work with, got my hands all scratched and cut up in the past using that stuff, and cleaning it is not easy. Hopefully the plastic stuff is a bit better to work with.

jorats said:
Today, I decided to check out the Home Depot and I came across this stuff and I thought, maybe it would work for modifying the FN. It's hardware net, it's made from a durable plastic, won't corrode or rust. The only problem, will the rats chew through it? I'll be putting it on the outside of the FN... It might work.

Hardarenet.jpg

Hardwarenetupclose.jpg

Don't use it!!!!

I used that to cover my mid west cage I had, and they kept chewin it off!!

I even went out and bought more to double layer it, and no...they chewed through that too!!

I came home to find 2 of my girls on top of the cage, 1 in the couch, 1 in my room, and the others sitting on the shelf in the cage lookin at me liike, "look ma! we were good girls! we stayed here!" LOL

Ya, don't use it!

UNLESS you have non-chewers...alll mine are chewers though...

GL!

ya, I would just return it!

I wished it woulda worked out, when people told me to use hardware cloth, I thought that was what they meant...Then I learned otherwise...a HORRIBLE waste of $40....I still have some left over...trying to think what I could use it for...I was thinking something with free time, but I just dunno...

Rattielove9 said:
ya, I would just return it!

I wished it woulda worked out, when people told me to use hardware cloth, I thought that was what they meant...Then I learned otherwise...a HORRIBLE waste of $40....I still have some left over...trying to think what I could use it for...I was thinking something with free time, but I just dunno...

You paid $40????? Mine was only $11 at Home Depot.
Hmmm what to do what to do???

I returned mine. It was $38 for two rolls at my Home Depot.
I know that my girls from that crew are chewers so if there's already been report of chewing, then I know it won't work for mine. :(

Well I went and bought 1/2 in vinyl coated hardware cloth all they had was green :cry:
So I guess I'll go with that and take the other back.

Back