How small of a cage can a senior live in?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riley

I have one female rat left. Her last cage mate just died this evening. She was born March 2012. She's never been sick or had any problems, luckily. But she is having trouble moving around with her back legs. She drags them a little bit and walks very low. Vet says she's just old. She cannot use ramps or get into hammocks.

She mostly stays in her house, comes out to eat and drink but that's about it. I take her out of the cage but she mostly cuddles.

Currently she is living in a DCN, in the top half. I have 3 boys in the bottom. She doesn't utilize the cage space at all. I'd rather let the boys have the full cage and move her into something smaller. How small can I go since she doesn't move around anymore?

Aww, she sounds like a sweet old girl. I think a cage that is 30x18 would be a good base for her, it will give her room to have a hut and a place to eat and even a low hammock if you think she can manage it and even a spot for her to go toilet.

Thank you. I want her to be comfortable but able to access everything she needs, easily. She is very sweet, loves giving kisses.

20160430_204726.jpg

We had a couple boys that had back end weakness that was related to a heart issue. They regained some use back once they were on heart meds. I too thought it was just old age. Your girl is a lovely little old lady. :rose:

@riley did you end up finding a cage? If so, what did you end up going with?

@jorats & @SQ - I have senior rats too and although they are still able to climb it is getting harder and harder. You mentioned large one level cages, but when I search for large cages, they are all made for rabbits or guinea pigs and the bar spacing is an inch. One of my senior rats is fairly slender, so I worry she will escape. Plus I would love to be able to use the large one level cage as a hospital cage as well down the line.

Any suggestions on cages? I looked up Martin's cage - but the one levels are not that big.

Thanks so much!
-M. :)
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/member.php?u=5357

Any suggestions on cages? I looked up Martin's cage - but the one levels are not that big.

Hmmm Godmother purchased a one level with flip top lid, 30 in by 18 in (powder coated with drop in pan) from them many years ago.

You can contact them, describe what you want and ask how much it would cost (always use powder coated)

I have used 40 in long rabbit cages, and use my CN .... I just remove the shelf or remove the ladder ...... and I have never needed to use a hospital cage as rats recover best when in with their friends.

@SQ Okay I will find out about the Martin cage! :D Thank you!
Also, regarding the rabbit cage what does CN stand for? And which cage did you get? Was the spacing 1 inch?

As for the hospital cage, I've only had to use it when my ratties get stitches and the others start to pull at it...otherwise I totally agree with you! They do better with each other. :D

I once used the Martin's cage playpen as a cage. It was perfect.

yes, I love the large rat play pen :)

and now they make rat play pens with bottom pans :)

sorry, CN stands for critter nation cage
and yes, the rabbit cage has large bar spacing and the pans are quite deep on those type of cages

Last edited:
Back