Labored breathing/Hard chest

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda1472

Hello, My boy Thumper has been breathing labored and loosing weight for about 1.5 months (he is 2 years old now). He was doing well on Zitrho/baytril/predisolone for the whole time, but within the last 3-4 days he has lost a lot of weight, has no activity level (he just hangs out in a hammock with his face hanging out), barely eats (he wont eat lab blocks, just veggies etc), he feels cold, his testicles looks almost non existent/cold, and his chest feels almost like a rock.

Should I just keep going with baytril/zithro/predisolone or what other meds would you suggest? Any other advice?

(The hard thing is that he will not just take the meds he freaks out or just drools it out, I was able to hide his food in baby cereal for a while, but for the last 2 weeks its been hard trying to hide the meds in food since he barely eats...)

We're pretty much going through the same thing with Popper. He will only eat now if we put it in front of him and then its only a few licks. Mostly he will only eat off a finger or lick what comes out of a syringe. Yesterday his respirations became whistle sounding and faster. He has a follow up vet appointment in a couple hours and I'm afraid its going to be time to say good bye.

Im thinking it may just be time to let him go. He is starting to have more bad days than good, but like dspch911 its hard to choose when they are ready to go when they still have good days. But thinking as an overall life quality, it just seems unfair to keep him living.

What does your vet say? Have you had his heart checked as well? Sometimes, something like enalapril can help a heart that has become weakened from respiratory issues. If the vet feels there's nothing more that can be done and your little one can't breathe well and is suffering, the kindest thing to do is let them go. Only you can make that call; you know your rat well and know if he's having an 'okay day' each day, or if he's suffering. My thoughts are with you; going through this with them is so difficult.

My vet is still pretty new to rats but he is always up to learning. He does have an appt at 12:30. But im guessing it will most likely be a euthanasia. Its so hard though, yesterday was one of his good days, he seemed some what happy and greeted me at the door almost every time I saw him. But like I said, he is having many more bad days than good.

Back