Reddish stained fur?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackTheRat

Alright, I am in need of assistance.

I haven't been to the forums in quite some time, although until recently all my rat-babies have been doing great. Until last night.

My little Maxwell was looking a bit sick; He was extremely thin and just all around sick looking. It was late at night, so the vets are closed, so I made a note to call in the morning. Although this morning when I woke, I seriously thought he was dead. He was laying on the bottom of the cage, twisted in an awkward angle. I reached out and touched his tail, and he squeaked. I had very little time before I had to go to work, but I called the vet and they don't have any openings for appointments. Argh!

So, I left for work, and came home to check up... He's still alive, and I've been holding him in my lap for the past 2 hours or so. I've gotten him to drink a little bit of water, and he has eaten a very small amount of cheese.

But, that isn't my real question. I noticed that patches of his fur are tinted a rusty-red color, then upon inspecting my other two rats -who are just fine- I noticed they too have the same patches.

I am just curious if this is a sign of illness, or does a rats fur do this with age...? :( I just want to know, because my other rats have the same strange patches of fur. Thank you!

Are they all unaltered boys? Males develop buck grease, which is a thick orange to rusty colored waxy like substance. Just hormones and their maleness. Usually develops along their back.

If you're seeing it on any white or light parts of their fur, it's probably porphyrin staining. Rats secret a reddish pigment in their saliva that can turn white/light fur a reddish color from grooming.

Usually, if you tell the vet that it's an emergency they will find an appointment. All vets keep time slots open for this purpose, just for that reason.

I hope you are soon able to get him into the vet as an emergency.

You might try to give him pedalite (from drug store, for babies) to keep him hydrated. You might also try feeding him baby cereal mixed with water, soy milk, soy formula, or ensure/boost.

I'm so so sorry your little Maxwell is not well. It must be a day from hell for you having to leave and worry about him in that condition.
I would think javakittie is right about it being porphyrin staining, he must have it pretty bad if your other boys have it too (but they must have been comforting Maxwell to get it) and if he didn't have problems with it before that suggests he is acutely ill.

It's been quite a while since you posted.... Maxwell has my prayers & best hopes that he will recuperate, and if it's serious that he is comfortable and you 2 can help each other thru this.

Back