Sad Day - Remy Goes into a Retirement Home

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessa

My little Remy, who will be three in April, had to be moved to a retirement home today. That always makes me sad.
He has been in his SuperPet cage all his life, and I have been making constant adjustments to it lately to allow him to move around comfortably with his hind end paralysis. It isn't the worst I have seen by a long shot, but it is getting more and more difficult for him to navigate the ramps and he no longer makes it to the third floor at all.
I watched him really struggle last night to the second floor, so I decided to make the move today when I cleaned his cage out.
Poor Remy, all alone having lost all his cagemates, and now he has had to lose his home. It always makes me feel down.
2Remy.jpg

Remy is so gorgeous. What a grand age!!! I think they adapt to their retirement home if you make sure he has most of his "stuff" in there. But I know we all hate to admit our sweeties are getting old. :hug4:

It really is heartbreaking when they reach that time in their life. Some faster than others... I did however notice that older rats seem to prefer smaller cage, like there's less to take care of?

He's looking great!

Yes, that must be hard. He might well prefer to have a smaller space, but it must feel like the beginning of the end. He sure does look wonderful for his age, though. He may surprise you yet.

Poor old Remy, does he seem lonely?

I have two rooms (the study and the laundry) where the rats can free range. The study is primarily used for aged rats. I moved the oldies with their able bodied cagemates into the retirement rat room where they can permanantly free range.

At the moment I have two old rats (aged 36 months and 34 months) with hind leg paralysis. So currently all the bedding has been moved to the floor. They don't get about much but they seem to like their current set up as do their active cagemates.

Dewi

It's really sad, isn't it, when we need to move our sweet senior ratties into a smaller but much more comfortable cage. I'm sure your beautiful Remy will get used to it very soon.

I had to do that to my 3 old ones but now 2 passed on so my Georgie is alive and well at 34 months but I think she's very lonely. :cry:
Georgie-1.jpg

Is Remy really 3? He looks great for that age! I thought he will like 6 months or something. Stella looks like that, and she is only 3 months old. Good job on taking care of your Remy. It must be awfully sad moving him to his new cage, his retirment home. :( Soon, he will be Over the Rainbow Bridge, playing with other rats, and be jumping around and having fun, but he will miss you. Alot. Good luck with Remy~ I hope he has a happy rest of his life, coming to an end.

Lol! Just a quick comment. I am, at least all of us, are older than Remy. I will be turning 10 in April. I'm the youngest person on this forum, lets just say. Again, good luck and happy rest of your life, Remy! I'm so sorry this has all happened. Hopefully he will at least live to be 4. ...5?

Retirement homes are always bittersweet. Remy may surprise you, though. My Penn's been fighting an ongoing issue, and was having alot of trouble navigating everything. When her cagemates started picking on her, I moved her to her own Marchioro. She's doing famously in there, really perked up and loving life again. She doesn't have to struggle to get around, and I think that made a big difference for her.

Good luck to Remy! I hope he enjoys his new cage.

My Remy left me last night, at just over 38 months. I will miss him.
This is my baby Remy, with his darling brother Oliver.
remyoliver2sm.jpg

I am so sorry Vanessa....Remy was a very handsome boy and what a darling little baby....
He had a long wonderful life....he was a lucky boy.

I'm so sorry about Remy. I know you will miss him, but take comfort that he had a long and happy life with you.
:hugs:

Back