HELP!!!! random freak out weird....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester_Elliot

so about a month ago i rescued two feeder rats one is Elliot and one is Chester .when i got them they were both from what i presumed male.. turns out one is not and is possibly pregnant (Chester). i recently got a bigger cage and they both seem to love. i let them get acclimated to the cage and they seem to love the new space. i took them out to play and Chester cuddled up and slept while Elliot was curious and was playing with me. i put them both back and offered them both their favorite treats. Chester seems uninterested in the treat so i let it go. about 30 minutes later she was running frantic around the cage so i decided to maybe see if i could comfort her..... nope.... i picked her up she lept out of my hand onto the floor and tried to run away. so i put her back in... i got some peanut butter (their most favorite treat) put a little bit on my hand and tried to offer it to her and she wouldn't take it... she then climbed onto my shoulder jumped into my laundry basket and i gently picked her up and put her in the cage. SHE HAS NEVER DONE THIS! since the day i got her she likes to cuddle and enjoy treats and explore she has never done this and im worried please help!!! any or all info would be great thank you

How was her breathing?
Was she doing open mouth breathing, was she trying to get up high?
Rats in respitory distress often panic and race around trying to find a place where they can breath easier.

Any new odors or other animals in the home? or anything that has changed, shadows, scents etc .... as she may have been frightened and panicked

Btw, peanut butter needs to be greatly diluted as it is too thick and sticky and can clog the throat and cause rats to become unable to breath

Back