rex rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
The woman who has these two girls up for adoption says their coats look like this because they are rex rats.
I have never had a rex rat but from pictures I have seen, I believe the woman is mistaken.

Good to know.
With the straight wiskers they didn't look like rexes.
And with the coloration on the first girl and the coat on the second, I was wondering about their health.

Definately Velveteen... the cool thing is, some days their whiskers are straight, some days quite curly and some days all kinky. Maggie did that to me, I never knew what her whiskers were going to do.

I can see what you were thinking SQ, that second picture had me thinking about their health too....good to hear that that just may be their coat tho :)

moon said:
Definately Velveteen... the cool thing is, some days their whiskers are straight, some days quite curly and some days all kinky. Maggie did that to me, I never knew what her whiskers were going to do.

:?: They can really do that? How is that possible?

Can someone post another picture of a Velveteen rat? The picture in Holly's original post is gone. I'd really love to see what one looks like.

Thanks! :wave:

These boys were velveteen.

McCloud.jpg

GorgeousStorm.jpg

Oliveroutsideupclose.jpg

I see! :D

Now were the first two boys Dumbos as well? So the first one would be considered a Velveteen, Dumbo, PEW, the second a Velveteen, Dumbo . . . ?High White? and the third a Velveteen, Hoodie? Is that how it works?

And how can they possibly change the "texture" of their whiskers from day to day? That's just so amazing? Is it like a "mood" thing?

And is it possible to get all different ear and coat variations in the same litter?

Sorry about all the questions. :oops:

The first boy was a velveteen dumbo silver self, the second was a velveteen dumbo blue berk and the last was a velveteen lilac mismarked bareback.

I've never seen the whiskers change.
In a litter, you can get rex, double rex and a poor rex which might pass as velveteen.
In a litter you can also get dumbos and standard ear. I've heard of some people say they have half dumbo rats... which doesn't exist. lol

jorats said:
The first boy was a velveteen dumbo silver self, the second was a velveteen dumbo blue berk and the last was a velveteen lilac mismarked bareback.

Well, I sure blew that one, didn't I, Jo? It's a good thing I wasn't being marked! . . . a velveteen, lilac, mismarked bareback?!? Boy, have I got a LOT to learn! LOL!

jorats said:
I've never seen the whiskers change.

Can that really happen, Ashley? I just find that so remarkable!

jorats said:
In a litter, you can get rex, double rex and a poor rex which might pass as velveteen.
In a litter you can also get dumbos and standard ear. I've heard of some people say they have half dumbo rats... which doesn't exist. lol

So . . . if you were to breed two dumbos together and say one was a velveteen and the other was a rex (does rex mean that they don't shed their coats the way the double rexes do?) . . . could you still get all of those things? Dumbos, standard ears, velveteens, rexes, double rexes, etc.?!?

It certainly seemed to happen with Maggie! Granted, it may have not been *daily* so much as one day I'd notice there were not very curly... and a month later they were very straight... and a while later quite a bit curlier.... but never as curly as real rex rats.

Maybe she was just sleeping on them funny sometimes and that made them look different? LOL

Jorats, your ratties look very different than the pic I had posted.
Very nice looking ratties.

The rattie I had posted from kijiji (sorry about the pic) looked a bit like she had been attacked by moths. Her fur looked very unhealthy.
Glad to know that is not the usual look for velveteen ratties.

Ginny's coat was rather much like a rex but it's lost most of its curl and now just looks really unhealthy, heh. Poor sweetie.

moon said:
Maybe she was just sleeping on them funny sometimes and that made them look different? LOL

That's entirely possible. I've been known to wake up with some pretty interesting "do's" a time or two myself! :lol:

In the litter that i fostered we had rex, double rex and smooth as well as regular and dumbo ears. The mom was a dumbo rex and the father was unknown, but possibly another dumbo rex.

Back