Three new rescues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
...are in very bad shape. :(
They've had mites and their fur is so sparse and covered in scabs.
One has trauma to her eye, another has a hard mass most likely abscess on her chin, probably a tooth abscess and she also has a rotten top incisor.
The good news, their lungs sound pretty good considering the shape their body is in.

My vet is away for 3 weeks but we can get those girls on Baytril and treat them with Revolution. I'm sure the one girl will need her incisor removed.

If anyone has dealt with a bad top tooth, and have any advice please let us know!

Oh lord. Boy, a lot sure can happen when you just haven't had time to pet them for a week, eh? Can you imagine what these girl's lives have been like?
Thank god LA got them outa there and they are safe with you & mamarat now. I'm sure they'll get better when they see what life really can be like.
:cry:

These girls, I think were just in an unfortunate place. A family that got too busy and didn't see the signs. I guess in the end, the family knew it was time to place them in a better home. It's just a shock to see them like that.

Poor girls, I can't imagine what a tooth abscess must be like for a rattie. I had one once. :pale: If its anything like that, she needs pain medicine fast!

ratamataz said:
Poor girls, I can't imagine what a tooth abscess must be like for a rattie. I had one once. :pale: If its anything like that, she needs pain medicine fast!

Oh, thanks for mentioning that, you are so right. We've got metacam here too.

I found out they had been in the basement for most of the summer..... She said that maybe it got to chilly down there for them.

*be nice be nice be nice* I can see why she maybe put them down there because of her girls being so badly allergic... I think at this time she should have asked someone to take them. Instead of waiting. But whats past is past. I feel bad that all of you will take on this burden. But thank you so much.

Well, all is not so bad, the girls are more alert and looking a bit better.
I think the big one, mamarat is calling her River is going to be ok. She has one eye bigger than the other but I don't think it's a concern. The other one, if we can get that abscess down and that upper tooth looked at, she might be ok too.
Jacki is looking great. She's on meds now as are all three and on the road to being better.

The three girls have seen the vet and it's very bad news.

I don't know what they were fed, but it looks like malnutrition.
Jacqui has progressed kidney disease. She needs to be put on a high fat diet and hope that it will help her.
River has fluid buildup and she's very lethargic. Our vet is hoping that with good balanced food she may recover.
Summer has a huge nasal abscess due to her teeth being rotten. She needs to have at least one pulled, maybe more and have the abscess that runs from the nose to her chin cleaned out.
All three girls had severe mite infestation. Their skin is scarred for life.

This is not fair. Why do our pets have to suffer because of humans. :cry: Hopefully you can make things bareable for them . I know you will give it your best. Keep us in touch.

Ann

jorats said:
These girls, I think were just in an unfortunate place. A family that got too busy and didn't see the signs. I guess in the end, the family knew it was time to place them in a better home. It's just a shock to see them like that
Sorry Jo. But I'm absolutely not OK with that. I can't knock someone for not taking a kid to the vet to have a tumor removed, but the condition these kids are in? They are in horrible condition! Not just from stuff that requires a vet, but from someone not even trreating them for mites. And not even feeding them properly, these kids are suffering from malnutrition.
I think people are trying to be considerate of the former 'parents' and I sure commend them for finally sending them where they will be well loved and cared for rather than letting them live/die neglected in a cage.

But untreated mites, and malnutrition from eating whatever the people found to feed them, not to mention it was pretty obvious when they they were delivered in a dirty cage what they lived in when nobody was watching.
I don't care who knows these people, pass on a message, thank god you gave them up, Why didn't you do it sooner??

OMG Jo and Mamarat. I am so sorry to put you in this postion. I am shocked and so upset.

Fidget I agree with you!!! I have said to Wayne many times, when I was told they had been in the basement for a year I thought to myself "if you have to do that then maybe it's time to give them away". But they weren't they were put in the basement to live their lives. Rats have feelings too and you have to think of the better health for all involved. Kids, rats, etc.

It's sad to say but there is no excuse for CRAP like that. I can't even imagine how they are feeling. It makes me want to cry.

Back