Bite marks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

I removed Ebony from the cage cause he was causing problem after problem and Phoenix was full of bite marks. Since I removed Ebony my cage has calemed down alot. Ebony has an appointment to get fixed on the 26th :)

Phoenix is full of bite marks. I mean FULL!!! I treated everyone with revolution cause there was a bit of scratching in my cage. I'm assuming they`re bite marks. What else could it be? I still see small wounds that are bleeding on him.

What should I do? Can I give Phoenix a bath to help sooth his wounds? He doesn't like me picking him up to pet him but I can't blame him he must be in pain. He seems to get along with everyone else in the cage. I don't think anyone else would be biting him. I have no idea of what else it could be. he has scabs literally from head to toe.

I removed Ebony on Friday. how long should it take for his bit marks to clear up?

Last edited:
It could be an infestation of lice/mites.
You should treat ALL your rats with something like Revolution and then give the cage a thorough cleaning. You can freeze anything wooden for a few days that can't be disinfected.
Rats get cranky when they have an infestation - it could be a big part of your issues.

Wouldn't all the rats have "bite marks"? Is it possible that Phoenix has more of a reaction to the mites?

Everyone was treated with revolution monday :)

If you have a ton of small wounds on his rump and back those are more likely to be bite marks,as he would be running away from ebony. If the wounds are only on his neck and shoulders then its more likely to be mites.

They're on his back an rump. He has one under his neck (throat area) I'm thinking from being pinned down and bit.

How long would it take for these wounds to heal? None are deep.

How long ago did you do the revolution?
I once had only one rat with what appeared to be bite marks, I truly believed that's what it was but in the end, it ended up being mites. It took a couple of months for him to be fully healed. If he heals with

I gave them revolution Monday the 18th of May. I was starting to have doubts if it was bite marks or not. Ebony is still getting fixed cause he is causing problems. And I can't wait to get him fixed.

Back